Silkie Question again

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MonkeyZero, Sep 10, 2009.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Out of curiosity.
    My silkies dislike perching, and I have notice that a lot of silkies dont. Whats the reason behind this?
    Thanks-sorry for the noobish question...
    [​IMG]

2. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:I think mainly because their feathers lack barbicules (spellings?) which creates the soft and furry look instead of hard feathers. When they try to fly the air passes right through their wings because of this. My PQ silkies roost because they have enough harder feathers to fly. My SQ and BQ silkies just huddle in a big ole silkie pile.

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    It is also because they can't see well. The crest prevents them from easily jumping up. They will roost but you need to train them Keep the roost low. I have Sizzles and they do better with the hard feathers.
    When I keep them all together as juveniles. The Sizzles will most always roost on a regular roost. My Silkie will try to follow suit. I have some landscape timber pieces and I start them out on those. I just lay a piece in the coop. They do tend to want to be out of the bedding and will start stepping up on the board. I then build a little roost about 6 inches off the ground. The can easily step up and there is not danger to then getting down.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Yep...big ol' silkie piles all over the pens. [​IMG] NONE of mine roost...even on roosts only 2 inches off the ground.

5. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    I made a chicken ladder for mine. They use it every night.

[​IMG]

6. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    My roosts for my silkies are only about 3 ft high. They are like stair steps. More than not, they would rather pile up in the corner of :yiipchickthe pen!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by