silkie question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by txmel, May 25, 2010.

1. txmel

txmel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    i have 3 silkies and they have been in their coop and run for about 3 weeks now and i kept them in the coop for the first week then opened it up to the run. now the day i opened it up to the run they didnt come out at all just kindof looked out the door. so the next day i set them out side in the run the little rooster was ok but the other 2 were scared so i put them back in the coop with the door open. now the little roo will go in and out all day but the other 2 dont come out at all.i did try and place them out again and they did fine and were out all day but didnt go in on their own. the next day they came out on their own and were out all day again and again i had to put them back in at night. but since then they won't come out. the roo goes in and out all day but the other 2 stay in. my question is why would they do this and is this some thing that is normal for silkies?do they have trouble seeing so dont want to go up or down the ramp? the little roo doesn't have any trouble using the ramp. they are 13wks old.

2. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Some chickens just take longer to learn to go in and out on there own. I had some that I had to put out everyday and put back in every night. After several weeks of doing this they finally got the drift and started doing it on there own.

3. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I have noticed that my silkies with the heavy feathering around the eyes are more timid about new things. They used to stay inside while the silkies that could see better would be outside. I took scissors to them and now they are all active. I rteally do think it's because they can't see as well due to the feathering.

4. silkieowner

silkieowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    HI i had the same problem with my silkie hens i got 3 weeks ago they wouldn't come out from the coop during the day then when the other chickens went to go to bed the silkie hens would run out and sleep in the run. I trimmed there crest feathers on day 3 of being home as they were walking with there heads down.I had to keep putting them back in for a week and half. Then one night we went out for dinner and the other chickens didn't go to bed yet, When i came home i went up to put the silkies in bed to find they put themselfs to bed.
    Now getting them out of the coop during the day took them 2 weeks 3 days for them to finally get the courage up to come out Now they come out and go back in when they want. They can actually see better walking with there heads held high not to the ground like they did when i got them.

5. txmel

txmel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    well last night i went out to put the silkies to bed and found the one with the biggest poof sleeping in the run by herself. (I didnt even know that she had been outside) and this morning now they are all 3 outside even the one that hardly ever comes out. i'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will eventually figure out how to go in on their own. their food is inside so i'll have to keep a good eye today to make sure they go in at some point to eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by