silkie question..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by emeraldquill, May 17, 2008.

1. emeraldquill

emeraldquill Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Suffolk.England
    Are silkies by nature just naturally bone idle? I have one that has been broody for around a month despite my best efforts to snap her out of it...my other hasn't even laid yet and is now copying her behaviour. They are out all day until I come home late afternoon and as soon as I let them in they go straight to bed and won't budge until morning.Even when they are locked out of bed they still just sit around after they have munched some food. I am concerned that the younger one is not eating enough because she is just doing what broody Mabel is doing. Is this just what silkies do? are they just lazy birds?
    :mad:

2. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Yes they get broody, fast, and or a long time.

3. emeraldquill

Apr 15, 2008
    Suffolk.England
    but should I be worried about the little one who hasn't even come into laying yet? is she eating enough?

4. alex

Jul 1, 2007
    No silkies are not lazy, and why your younger one is doing the same thing as the older one is very interesting. My silkies dont do that...i have a broody silkieat this time and my other one doesn't do anything to coppy her...she jst mindes her own bussiness...sorry for the spelling.

5. emeraldquill

Apr 15, 2008
    Suffolk.England
    no worries about spelling,it's content I'm interested in [​IMG]

Any suggestions as to what I might do for the little one? Does anyone know?

6. alex

Jul 1, 2007
    My best guess would be that the other one that is doing the same thing, has gone broody too...im not sure how old she is tho...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by