Silkie Question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Secretlyspotted, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Secretlyspotted

Secretlyspotted Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2013
    Carrollton GA
    I have 5 chickens- 1 RSL, 1 EE, 1 maran, 1 cochin, and 1 bantam silkie. This was my first flock of chickens and I didn't know that the silkie might be shunned by the other chickens or I would've bought 2 to begin with. But, alas, I didn't. Now Unicorn (the silkie) seems fine. She is friends with the cochin and nobody really picks on her too much. But recently the cochin moved up to sleeping on the roost and Unicorn stayed on the coop floor. :( Do silkies have trouble flying up to roosts that are 2 ft off the ground? If so, should I build her one closer to the floor?
    And now to the real question- I am planning my order of chicks for next spring. I am ordering 8 standard size egg layers and I wonder if I should order a couple silkies too. To give Unicorn a couple friends. Or will this just cause more trouble when I plan to integrate the flocks? She is holding her own now and I hate to upset the apple cart- but I need more eggs!

2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

Silkies can't fly, at all, period. It is perfectly normal for her to sleep on the ground. If you get lots of silkies, when they sleep, it just looks like a pile of feather down on the coop floor!

I would definitely get more silkies, the more hens you get, the harder it will be for her not to be picked on, there is safety in numbers!

3. Secretlyspotted

Sep 22, 2013
    Carrollton GA
    Thanks so much! I am in West GA- like straight West of Atlanta almost to Alabama. It is coolllllddd this weekend!
    I am excited about ordering more silkies. Do you think I could build her a ramp up to the roost? Or would she rather sleep on the floor. I am so glad you told me they couldn't fly at all, I didn't know that. There is such a steep learning curve to chicken raising!

4. salt and pepper

They're usually bad at ramps too.... lol lol, maybe put some extra bedding where she sleeps? I live in GA as well, so I understand!
    Yeah, chickens are something that you never stop learning about!

5. Secretlyspotted

Sep 22, 2013
    Carrollton GA
    My husband will be glad he isn't building a ramp! I will probably build her a nesting box on the floor then. My coop floor is covered in sand and I can build her a little box and put some straw in it so she can be comfy. I guess I got lucky with her cause they have to go up a small ramp to get in the coop at all! Do you ever trim the feathers around their eyes? It seems like trimming might help her to see a little better. She is totally just for fun, so I couldn't care less what she looks like. She goes out in the rain with the rest of the chickens and gets all muddy!

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Most silkies doggy pile but a low roost can be okay but again top choice with them is the flop hence why a few silkies is better, since most chicken won't do that. They can flutter up a tad, but don't fly up like most do, ours navigate small ramps just fine.

7. salt and pepper

A lot of people trim around their eyes, and some will put their fluff in a hairband! That usually helps them to see =)

8. CherishHolland

CherishHolland Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    I own 3 silkies myself and they all prefer 'the silkie pile" but every now and then I do catch them on the lower roost , and as far as trimming around her eyes that should be fine. I am guilty of putting up my polish gal's crest in a pony tail holder just so they are able to see what is in front of them lol.

9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I find the roos are the ones who roost, the pullets here prefer to cuddle lol BUt the pile of silkies is a definite strong instinct, showing up as chicks and continuing through. My daughter has trimmed around eyes, she has some crested and the eyes just vanish.

10. Secretlyspotted

Sep 22, 2013
    Carrollton GA
    I ordered Unicorn (the silkie) two new friends today! But they won't arrive until Feb and then they'll be too small to play with the big girls for quiet awhile. But, of course, on the day I placed the order she "flew" up to the low roost to hang out with her bestie. It had been pouring all day and she was so muddy- it was hilarious. I'm actually really glad she's all snuggled up tonight cause it is getting SUPER COLD for GA- into the 20s.
    And as soon as I get a free minute and a willing victim to help me- she's getting a haircut!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by