Silkie Question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickenAndMore, Jan 1, 2014.

1. ChickenAndMore

ChickenAndMore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    About a month ago I bought 2 Silkies (1 Male, 1 Female). Here is a pic (this is an old pic from when I first got them)
    [​IMG]
    Today when I was feeding my chickens, The coop was attacked by 5+ hawks (luckily I have chicken wire across the top so there was no deaths) But when the hawks started flying towards them I heard 2 crows from my silkie pen. Wondering if one of them is not a full blood silkie (the one at the back). They look so different from one another. The one that I think is a mix is yellowish white, has reddish comb/wattle, and doesn't look 100% like a silkie. Can anyone tell if he is a mix? Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advace! Also if anyone needs more pictures just ask and I will try to get some up tomorrow.

2. reckless

reckless Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    michigan
    My Coop
    the one in the front definitely looks like he has streamers. neither of them look like mixes to me.
    did you get them from a hatchery? hatchery birds vary SO much!

i ended up with two roos from a hatchery and look at how different they are:

willow has darker skin.
    [​IMG]

albedo's tail feathers are like one roo in the back of your pic.
    [​IMG]

3. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Some more recent pictures would be really helpful, especially a front view of the bird in the foreground in your picture. They both look like silkies. The other thing is that depending on where you are in the world, the type of silkie does vary somewhat. Are you questioning the gender of the bird in the foreground or is it a proven female? Where did you get them from?

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    better pictures would help, but that being said, white silkies can range in color from red in the face to a good dark gypsy color. The better colored ones you can get from a good breeder

5. ChickenAndMore

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    They are both males, and more pics will be up soon. They are from a local breeder

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  6. ChickenAndMore

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    These are the best pictures I could get (they still aren't use to the camera)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I'll Try to get more pictures tomorrow

7. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    They both appear to be full silkies, they are just not show quality. It is not desirable to have red combs and wattles, they should have very dark skin. Quality really does vary depending on what the breeder is trying to achieve, and the silkies available in your region/ country.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by