Silkie questions

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by EastBayChickens, Feb 25, 2008.

1. EastBayChickens

EastBayChickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2008
    My husband and I are still debating what kind of chickens we want. We only want a few as we are in suburban land and don't have a huge amount of space and we also are pretty sure we want bantams. Which has led us to silkies. We've heard they're good around kids (we have a few youngish ones). We are curious about the whole cleanliness issue (or what we perceive might be) with the feathered legs. Is it a non issue? Is it matted and icky all the time? Just wondering about this aspect of having silkies.

Any other suggestions? We'd welcome them!

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I have a Silky/Cochin mix bantam hen...she's a house chicken.

She's no more messy than her Standard sized Leghorn buddy.

They can go broody alot: wanting to sit on eggs and raise a family.

They come in all sorts of different colours and my Miss MoneyPenny is very talkative, but not loud.

The foot feathers would only be really awful if they were out in the weather all the time. But they're not bad as for upkeep.

3. EastBayChickens

Feb 25, 2008
    Good to know, thanks! What do you mean by a house hen?

4. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    She means the hen lives in her house. [​IMG]

Silkies are great pets, not so much for if you want to get any decent amount of eggs, they tend to go broody a lot, but when they do decide they lay they do lay very well. They are smaller eggs, but equally delicious. It's just a matter of keeping them laying eggs. [​IMG]
    Anyhow Silkies are great with kids. I have a 2...almost 3 year old and silkies are her favorite. They are easy for her to get a hold of and tolerate quite a bit of cuddling. See picture for details...lol.
    [​IMG]
    I haven't had too many problems about messy feet feathers. As long as you keep their area clean (mine free-range a lot, so the get to get in the grass in the summer) you shouldn't see too many problems.

5. EastBayChickens

Feb 25, 2008
    Thanks, Angie...that's what I thought, but I wasn't totally sure. I haven't thought about having them indoors!! (well, other than as chicks).

Cute pic of your little girl too...I'm sold on at least a few silkies. I assume they are ok with a few other kinds of bantams too? We're only planning on 6-8 total as that's the size of the coop my husband has made.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by