Silkie Questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by WhiteCochinLover, Nov 17, 2011.

1. WhiteCochinLover

WhiteCochinLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland
    Hi I am thinking about getting 2 silkies in a couple weeks and I need the Silkie Experts help on answering some questions.....

1: Should I put my 2 silkies in a pen with LF or Bantams....?

2:Which two out of the four colors avalible should I get - Blue,Black,Partridge,or White?

3:Are they bigger than bantam cochins?

4:What is the best thing about silkies?

2. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Quote:When you get there make sure you take the time to hold them and watch them and then pick your two favorites!

Happy-Hens

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  3. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    i would not put them in your flock for a least a months quarentien them from your flock there about size of bantam cochins i put them in with bantams once quaretien is up

4. WhiteCochinLover

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland
    Okay thanks anyone else care to input? [​IMG]

5. WhiteCochinLover

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland
    I think I am either getting blue and black or blue and partridge?

6. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Well just to add because every silkie is different...
    I currently and always have had my silkies in the same coop and run as my standard chickens and bantam ducks. They all get along great! My chickens love them.
    I own white, black and buff. My white one is the prettiest but I love them all so the color is totally up to you.
    My favorite things about them is how curious and friendly they are. They get skittish around strangers but they are very nice and cute birds.
    Good luck with your purchase! I can guarantee you won't regret it [​IMG]

7. UrbanFarmerGreg

UrbanFarmerGreg Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Hey I just got 3 silkies six or so weeks ago and I love them... they are so funny looking they are cute. very gentle too... I got them because of their mothering skills and being broody. I have seen them get along with standard sized chickens but would definitely go best with other bantams... I'm not 100% sure but i'm going to say they are similar size to the cochins maybe a bit smaller.... As far as colors go, I personally like one solid color so I'd go with black and white unless you are looking to get some funky looking crosses... Besides for the 3 silkies, I only have full size hens so they need to stay in a different coop

8. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    tracking this thread as I just got 2 4 week olds to be my brooders. They are currently in the house for quarantine for now & it is also cold here for 4 weekers I think.

9. WhiteCochinLover

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland
    Okay guys I think I am getting blue and black.... But I guess I will just wait and see which ones I love the best when I get there.... Also any tips and info on silkies I would greatly enjoy [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by