Silkie refuses feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by KarateHorse, Jan 5, 2017.

1. KarateHorse

KarateHorse Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    Our Silkie cockeral refuses to eat his food. He only picks out the sratch. We are feeding layer pellets. Is that ok? Our duck didn't get enough feed and she ended up with wry neck. Will he get wry neck if he doesn't eat the pellets? He is only eating the scratch. Thanks

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Scratch should only be fed as a treat since it doesn't have the nutrition they need for it to be fed as a staple and will cause problems as the sole diet, as you have seen. They like the taste of it better so they will eat it first over other feed if given the option, just like a child would eat only candy all day instead of vegetables if you let them. Offer only the layer feed (some will say you should feed an all flock to the rooster but I feed my roosters layer and have never have a problem but it is an option if you want) so that your birds don't have a choice about eating it and only give them scratch occasionally as a treat.

3. KarateHorse

Oct 13, 2016
    All the other birds eat it. With their scratch it's just him. I will cut back his scratch. Thanks

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Hi, remove the scratch from the feeder and add grower crumbles to the layer at 50/50...Scratch is a treat and should be limited.....Cockerels/Roosters have different dietary needs......

Cheers!

5. KarateHorse

Oct 13, 2016
    Ok we feed the rest of our flock scratch and layer feed together and they eat the layer feed along with their scratch. He is in a seperate pen so we took his scratch away for a little while.

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by