1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie Right? Way too early to tell gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RitzHomestead, Mar 19, 2016.

1. RitzHomestead

RitzHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA
    I am thinking this is a silkie but just wanted to be sure, and I am thinking it is still way too early to tell the gender. This is my first silkie so I am kind of clueless. It is only about a week old I am guessing it is also bantam sized.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    It's well too early to tell the gender, it usually takes 10+ weeks. I would say that it's a Cochin because I can only see 4 toes in the photo.

1 person likes this.
  3. shanadienne

shanadienne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2013
    Massachusetts, USA
    The dark skin tells me yes it's a silkie, though it might not be a very good example of a silkie if it doesn't have a fifth toe on each foot. And if it is, it might be quite a while before you know the gender.

1 person likes this.
  4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Its a Silkie, looks like its probably partridge. If its lacking extra toes, thats quite common, especially in hatchery (and Tractor Supply) birds.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by