Silkie roo and large hen breeding

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickenkeeper12, Mar 12, 2013.

1. chickenkeeper12

chickenkeeper12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Connecticut
    Well over the last couple weeks my silkie roo frosty, he is around six and a half months old, has been showing signs of maturity and has been try to mount 2 of my hens. He likes a red sex link and a houdan. I want to know if it would be alright to breed the houdan and the sex link. I will take any answers/ responses.
    Thanks
    mike

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If he can make contact, he can get the job done. Silky crosses produced excellent broody hens.

3. chickenkeeper12

Nov 25, 2012
    Connecticut
    Ok. Thank you. Would the sex link silkie cross have deformities. I heard a little about certain breeds when bread together will have deformities.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They would most likely have five toes on each foot and dark skin, but no deformities. Unless there is a genetic predisposition towards deformities in certain families, chickens can even be inbred and linebred with few physical problems.

5. chickenkeeper12

Nov 25, 2012
    Connecticut
    Ok. Thanks a lot. It will be a while but when I get the chance and if it successful i will post pics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by