silkie roo: broken toe/spur: what to do? *pic*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by meriruka, Apr 27, 2008.

1. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    When it rains, it pours. First my sick hen, now this.
    I noticed a few drops of blood on my roo's foot. I saw his spur is broken and when he walks, it tucks underneath him. Here's a pic, sorry about the poo on his foot, he stepped in a big pile as I was chasing him to pick him up to take the pic:
    [​IMG]
    The lowermost toe/nail is bent at a wierd angle.
    I was thinking to wash off his foot (so the poo doesn't infect it, but should I bandage it or (please I hope not) twist it back around where it belongs?
    Will it heal up or does a vet need to remove the nail?

2. meriruka

Oct 18, 2007
    I hate to bump my own stuff, but I just want to make sure I do the right thing for him. Thanks!

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    poor thing that must hurt...
    I would put him in a tub with some disinfecting soap/hibiclens or novalsan and gently let that soak through the foot (five minutes maybe? and gently (ever so gently) brush the foot with the cleansing water (I am thinking a new paintbrush)...
    Then I ould apply a triple antibiotic and separate him to a clean crate or such so that he is off the ground and keep everything as poo-free as possible until it heals (repeating the cleansing and triple antibiotic creme daily)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  4. meriruka

Oct 18, 2007
    Should I bandage it? When he stands, the toenail folds under and he is actually standing on it. Ouch.

5. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    sure but one such that it is easily removed to allow daily cleansing

6. meriruka

Oct 18, 2007
    Thanks for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by