Silkie roo gets stuck on his back????

christineum

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 11, 2013
North Texas
One of my silkies gets stuck on his back all the time. We got him at 2 days old and he is now 16 weeks. I think he has a neurological issue because he is always shaking his head (kind of like those bobble head figures). He is kind of the outcast in the flock and we find him off by himself most of the time. He can't get to his feet when he gets stuck on his back so we have to go looking for him to tip him back over. Any idea what could be his issue?

Many Silkies have vaulted skulls, a soft spot under their crest leaving the brain exposed. A peck or a bump in that spot can give them head wobbles, make them do back flips, walk backwards, star gaze, it could even kill them. In most cases, some vitamin E caps, selenium and some good TLC can put them to rights. If you can't fine the vit E and selenium, Poly-vi-sol without iron or Nutri Drench is good stuff too. Also, my Silkies have never done well on medicated feed (if you're feeding it). The amprollium works by blocking thiamine (vit B) uptake, causing deficiency and the problems I stated above. They've always dome better on a high protein diet (no layer feed either, even after they start laying. They don't lay often so don't require as much).
I wouldn't put him in a pot, or suspect Mereks. Silkies are a more fragile breed, and they do have their own little issues that sometimes need to be dealt with. The Silkie thread would be a great place for you to visit. There are quite a few posters on there who've had your exact problem, and they've posted up instructions, pics and outcomes that you can read thru to help you decide the best course of action. Good luck, I hope your buddy is feeling better soon :)

Many Silkies have vaulted skulls, a soft spot under their crest leaving the brain exposed. A peck or a bump in that spot can give them head wobbles, make them do back flips, walk backwards, star gaze, it could even kill them. In most cases, some vitamin E caps, selenium and some good TLC can put them to rights. If you can't fine the vit E and selenium, Poly-vi-sol without iron or Nutri Drench is good stuff too. Also, my Silkies have never done well on medicated feed (if you're feeding it). The amprollium works by blocking thiamine (vit B) uptake, causing deficiency and the problems I stated above. They've always dome better on a high protein diet (no layer feed either, even after they start laying. They don't lay often so don't require as much).
I wouldn't put him in a pot, or suspect Mereks. Silkies are a more fragile breed, and they do have their own little issues that sometimes need to be dealt with. The Silkie thread would be a great place for you to visit. There are quite a few posters on there who've had your exact problem, and they've posted up instructions, pics and outcomes that you can read thru to help you decide the best course of action. Good luck, I hope your buddy is feeling better soon
smile.png
Sorry wasn't try to be offensive,

Back
Top Bottom