1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie roo hardly moving, shook head almost fell over

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EggyErin, Mar 13, 2012.

1. EggyErin

EggyErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Suches, GA
    This just started this morning. He came out of the coop this morning and stood around in one place for five or so minutes looking a little foggy. I was working right there by him and he stayed put. He shook his head vigorously and almost tipped over. A few minutes later I saw him a few yards further away and he stood there for probably ten minutes. At his next move, he shot out total water. All the chickens have been on antibiotics for one week because of a hen with a respiratory infection. She is doing much better but still in isolation. Rooster isn't having any breathing problems. Last week I totally stripped the coop (deep litter method), swept it down, replaced nesting materials and let it air all day while the birds were out. What's going on? I definitely feel like I'm doing something wrong. Also, I dewormed in late fall.

2. bobzant

bobzant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Perry, IL
    Hello, Sorry to hear about your bird. This sounds really odd but could you possibly catch him and look in his ears? I have a bantam barred rock roo that will shake his head and almost lose balance, and when i look in his ear he has chunks of wax right inside the opening. I then will get a bobby pin and scoop it out and he is just fine after that. As for the watery poo, sometimes if a chicken drinks a ton of water without eating much it will look like that.

3. EggyErin

Apr 2, 2011
    Suches, GA
    I'll try it!

4. BaGAWK!!

BaGAWK!! Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    I have CRD (some sort of chronic resp. disease) running through my flock, they are carriers of it so symptoms show up at random times when they are stressed. Mine will look and act exactly how you described when they're coming down w/ it. You mentioned you had another hen that has a respiratory issue, you could have the same thing going on unfortunately. I would search CRD on here and possibly mycoplasma gallisepticum and coryza (these are 2 different CRDs) so you know what to look for and how to treat. They get watery poo, that's supposedly one of the symptoms. If that all lines up w/how he is acting you could start him on Tylan (antibiotic injections). If you have any questions on this please ask me.

I would check a fecal too, for worms and coccidia just in case. You can bring a stool sample to your cat and dog vet.

5. EggyErin

Apr 2, 2011
    Suches, GA
    Okay, it's clearly CRD but even after all my reading I'm not sure which specific one. My hen and rooster both presented differently. No oddness from the hen until I found her one morning with difficulty breathing. She does have one swollen place beside her beak. Nothing runny or nasty. Rooster hasn't had any breathing trouble, just little movement, ruffled feathers and looking forlorn. Rooster started showing symptoms after being on oxytetracycline for a week. Hen is in isolation and has improved. So...should I cut out the antibiotics? It sounds like maybe they've been on them too long already. Should I put the hen back in the flock? Sounds like all the other chickens have it, just not symptomatic. From some of what I've read, this could be viral so antibiotics aren't the right treatment. Is this going to run its course? Or what???? I'm confused and sad.

6. BaGAWK!!

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    I feel for you, I've also been in your shoes. I brought in 2 pre-lay pullets I just had to have, I foolishly didn't quarantine at all, just put them right in w/my flock. They weren't clinical when I got them so I thought every thing was fine. Well w/in 2 wks or so, some of my birds came down with it and then it spread thru the flock. Evidently chickens don't get colds, they get bacterial infections that cause similar symptoms to a cold but they become carriers so every time they get stressed they have the potential to become symptomatic. Now every bird that I bring in will become exposed. It's manageable, but now I can't sell any fertile eggs or birds from my farm. I have chosen to bring in more birds as babies, but they are far away from my affected birds and I try my darndest to practice biosecurity between coops.

I have talked to Peter Brown, the Chicken Doctor, www.firststatevetsupply.com on this topic. He has been very helpful. At first I wigged out and thought my birds would all die. For me it hasn't been fatal. But in the beginning I wanted to treat everybody as it seemed to hit them hard that first time they got it. He thought I probably had Mycoplasma Gallisepticum running through my flock. He advised to use a combo of gallimycin and oxytetracycline in their drinking water. (Obviously make sure sick birds are drinking, keeping their nose free of crusty discharge helps). Dosage: Gallimycin and oxytetracycline 1 tsp each in 1 gallon water x 10-14 days. I had to order both since I couldn't find it around me.

Is there a foul odor coming from their face? If so it's infectious coryza, sometimes it will be IC but they won't have the smell. Peter Brown didn't advise this but didn't advise against it either, use liquid sulmet in water per label.

I hope this helps, CRD is not necessarily fatal. I have not lost any birds to it, you just have to be careful! Currently I don't treat any of my birds for it, unless they can't get over it w/in a reasonable time or it hits them hard. Any time I have people come to look at or take care of my chickens, I always have them wear different clothes over to my house and spray their shoes with Oxine before and after they come on my property if they have chickens. A small price to pay for a little piece of mind.

ALso look up on BYC using Oxine fogging or nebulizing for treatment for CRD. [​IMG]

P.S. Also let me know if they have swollen or crusty eyes, you will need a recommendation for a flush. I have it if you need it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  7. EggyErin

Apr 2, 2011
    Suches, GA
    BaGAWK - thank you, thank you! That was very helpful. I lost my silkie roo. He never did show any breathing problems. I haven't had any crusties or drainage, no foul odor. My hen is doing pretty well but I think being isolated so long is stressing her. I'm going to let her back into the flock. She's really tired of scrambled eggs. I've long had a suspicion that the silkie roos may have been the original carriers. They came from a feed store (via a friend), whereas my other chicks were from a hatchery. Not having a clue, I just put the baby roos (at the time girls) in the brooder with the other chicks. Guess I'll never know and it doesn't matter now. Thank goodness I don't have any desire to do hatching eggs. I'll check into the Oxine. I dread the thought of having to fog the coop. I've only been doing oxytet but will look into getting gallimycin as well. Everybody drank the treated water so hopefully that helped.

8. BaGAWK!!

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    Do you have an update?

9. EggyErin

Apr 2, 2011
    Suches, GA
    My hen is back with the flock and happily foraging. She still has a little wheeze but no visible signs of breathing difficulty. Her energy is good, her affect is good (for a chicken[​IMG]) and she pumps those legs when she hears "Giiiirrls." So, knock on wood, she's doing well. I'll be interested to see if she every starts laying again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by