Silkie roo has weird foot fungus. Pics posted!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by krazychick28, Feb 23, 2011.

1. krazychick28

krazychick28 In the Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    So my silkie roo, who I suspect is still a baby, has had this weird foot fungus since I got him. One of my other silkie hens has the same fungus. I have scrubbed their feet with a brush and put peroxide on it. I also sprayed them down real good in case they had mites. I literally soaked their feet in mite killer. The fungus is crusty and comes off if you pick at it. Its so gross [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. honeydoll

honeydoll Songster

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    That doesn't look like a fungus to me, it looks like scaly leg mites. You need to treat legs with a thick cream, like Vaseline. That smothers them. There are other treatments but others will chime in, I haven't had to deal with this yet. If you do a search you will get lots of info on how to rid them of this.

HTH
    Carolyn

3. purpletree23

purpletree23 Songster

May 15, 2009
    It's a serious case of scaley leg mites. Buy some flea and tick shampoo and mix with warm water per directions in the kitchen sink (it's easier on the back) or somewhere else if you like and soak his/her feet. The longer you soak the better. Using an old toothbrush (let feet soak at least 10 min first) scrub the crusty area and see if you can get any of the crust off. Be careful.....the skin underneath will be tender and prone to bleeding. Do this for at least 20 minutes. Dry off her feet and slather with vaseline and back out into the coop. Do it everyday until you see skin again. Sometimes tweezers help. If an end comes loose and the feet are under water you can slowly pry chunks off but watch for any discomfort from the chicken.

What you are seeing is layers and layers of mite poop. The mites have moved in under the scales of the feet and it an accumulation.

Now the fun part. Your whole coop needs to be cleaned and cleaned well. Everything taken out, swept out and aired out especially the nesting boxes. Before adding fresh litter the coop floor, corners any crack or crevices and the roosts and nest boxes have to be dusted with sevin dust. If you don't do this your other chickens could end up the same way.

Just to be sure I would dust everyone before putting them back in the coop. Mites are nasty little critters, they feed off chickens and if bad enough can kill them.

The flea and tick shampoo with start killing them and the vaseline will do 2 things....smother them and soften the crusts so the next soak more junk will come off.

I just looked at the photos again....trim the feathers so you can see the hock and leg. There might be a buildup there also and it will make your job easier if you can see what you are doing.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  4. krazychick28

Feb 13, 2011
    Thank you for your help! I just got done giving both my silkie roo and hen a thourough scrubbing. They didnt like it but they are much happier now. I put some vasoline on both of their feet. The silkie roo, who has the worst of it, I still havent gotten all of the poop off but I can actually see his feet now. I noticed the feet when I got them, but at first thought it was normal. Idk why, I was dumb. Than I picked some off one day and was like hmmm, so I bought some mite killer and noticed after a week or 2 it wasnt really doing much. Because the poo was so caked on! I hope my silkie roo and hen make it. My silkie hen is very skinny, but she is such an eater! [​IMG]

5. purpletree23

purpletree23 Songster

May 15, 2009
    You're not dumb hunny you're learning just like all the rest of us. Keep up the soaking and the scrubbing until you find feet. They are under there. Don't forget to clean out your coop so the others aren't infested and give everyone treats like a head of cabbage or some frozen chopped spinach or cottage cheese or cheerios mixed with yogurt. The mites suck their blood, make them anemic and weak.

With your care they will be back to %100 before you know it. If Spring would hurry up a little foraging around the coop would really help.

Take care![​IMG]

6. krazychick28

Feb 13, 2011
    Should I scrub everyones feet and put vasoline on everyone? These 2 hens were the only ones that had the mites really bad. I have the mite killer and have been spraying everyone. Is there anymore I should do?
    Thank you guys so much for your help and kindness. I am new to actually raising chickens rather than collecting their eggs and feeding them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: