Silkie Roo head hanging down

ZooSD

Chirping
15 Years
Jan 26, 2008
Sparta, TN
I went out to lock everyone up for the night and our 7mo old silkie cockerel was hanging his head and not lifting it at all. He was fine yesterday and last night had his head down when I saw him on his roost. He's been eating and drinking the same, but I didn't notice anything today since I got a little busy. He was crowing earlier in the day though. Ideas, suggestions? I'm off to the store so I'll pick up some vitamins just in case.

I read several threads about wry neck, crooked neck, limber neck..... Since there have been no replies here I gave him some vitamin E, a scrambled egg and some pedialyte. He's perked up enough to eat some feed too and I've got him in a laundry basket in the bedroom for the night. Hopefully he'll recover from whatever it is.

Sounds like wry neck. You are doing a good job with the vitamin E (best if you can found it with selenium), but I will add some Polyvisol WITHOUT iron. Treat for a few weeks and he should be back to normal.

Thanks. I was trying to find the Polyvisol but they don't sell it at the local grocery store. I'll have to find some place with a pharmacy tonight. He's well enough to crow this a.m. and a little more perky. It's my daughter's chicken so she'll have to lock up her cat and baby sit him today.

I bought mine at walmart. If he crowed, it's already a good sign, but I would definitely continue his treatment.

smile.png
Thanks, I'll check Walmart tonight.

Back
Top Bottom