silkie roo losing leg mobility - can it be reversed?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by technodoll, Jan 16, 2011.

1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    My little Gabriel is 9 months old now and has been slowly losing mobility in his legs the past few months.

It's getting worse as the weeks go by.

He has very weak legs/ hips/ feet, not sure where the problem is.

His feet and toes look weak and unused.

He will fall on his side and kick to try and get up but fail. He is always laying on his tummy, I do see him slowly waddle sometimes but not much at all, I'm afraid he is getting weak from not drinking or eating. Many times per day I will go in his pen, lift him up and put his face in the bowl of food and he will always eat hungrily. The other silkies step all over him like a wet rag!

His hips feel weak, too.

What could possibly be going on here?

Is there any way to reverse it?

He was fine as a chick and as a youngster, everyone else who's been with him is super healthy.

Tonight he somehow got wedged between the bottom of the hanging feeder (it's low) and the cold cement floor as all the shavings had been scraped away. He was horribly stuck, on his side, kicking. If I hadn't found him and pulled him out he would have spent the long cold night there.

My poor Gabriel... I really don't want to have to put him down [​IMG]

2. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    I wish I had an answer for you. Are you feeding the right percentage of protein? Healthy food, with no mold? Did you check for mites or a bite or maybe he had a trauma.

Sorry, but I'm fairly new. Anybody else?

3. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Quote:That's just it, his progressive lack of leg muscle function is a complete mystery.

He's not had any accidents that I know of, food and general health are fine - everyone else is thriving.

The gang's been dewormed and have no parasites, excellent food and living quarters, etc.

Little Gabriel tries so hard to walk but he just falls on his side and stays there, legs kicking, not able to right himself back up.

When I do lift him up he will stand on his legs for a second or two before squatting back down again.

I've had to trim his butt feathers as they are covered in poop, he poops laying down the past month.

I've never seen anything like this before [​IMG]

4. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    bump... anyone? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by