Silkie roo not mating?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Azulegg, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Azulegg

Azulegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    south central PA
    I put my silkie hen in with our new SQ silkie roo back in October. I am not sure if he is mating her, usually when I am up at the barn I usually see Roos mating with the hens. Now when we had the pq silkie roo, he was always mating with her (so much that the pq roo stripped all the feathers off her back). I had to sell that pq roo due to the fact he was mating with the silkie hen way too much. Any how, do you think the SQ roo we have just has a low sex drive? Or is it because his "poof" on top of his head is obscuring his vision too much?

Here is a picture of the roo:

[​IMG]

2. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    One way to find out is trim around his eyes
    I have done this from time to time on birds I was not planning on taking to shows.
    I have also been known to trim their butt feathers :)
    Is your coop dark?

Mine is dark even though it has windows on three sides I keep a 100 watt bulb on during the days in the winter.
    In the summer I just open both doors and the lets in more light.
    Look at the picture NOTE how dark the windows look. Old dark wood in the coop.

[​IMG]

http://www.picturetrail.com/flufnstuffs

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

He might be containing himself while you're around, which is good because that means he knows you're top "roo"!

4. cindydj

cindydj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2007
    Melanie your coop is beautiful in the snow! I love your birds too....This Spring I am going to bit the bullet and get some quality Silkies.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Have you cracked open any of the eggs to see if they are fertile?

6. Azulegg

Jan 15, 2007
    south central PA
    What do I look for to see if eggs are fertile when I crack them open?

I never knew that some roos would not mate if they think you are "top roo", LOL!!!

Yes I will be trimming his crest. No I won't be taking him to any shows (maybe someday but not now).[​IMG]

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:He will mate, but not in front of you.

8. Azulegg

Jan 15, 2007
    south central PA
    All I can do is keep my fingers crossed that he has or will mate her soon. I just hope he doesn't have an illness that I do not know about. [​IMG]

AS to the coop, no it's not dark. The silkies are actually kept in my horse barn - it is plenty light during the day.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by