Silkie Roo or Pullet??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by powersurbanfarm, Oct 24, 2012.

1. powersurbanfarm

powersurbanfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Bragg, Ca
    Hi All,
    My name is Jen and I am new here. I live in a small town, right in the heart of downtown, where chicken keeping is not legal, but I have 6 little beauties anyway. I figured since my neighbor has 5 and the neighbor across the street has ducks, I was in fine company. I currently have a Buff Orpington, a RIR, a BR, a WC Black Polish, a Silver Cuckoo Marans, and a Black Silkie. They are all pullets, but I am confused by my Silkie (surprise, surprise!) They are all under 3 months, so still hard to tell with the silkie, but i was hoping some of you pros could help me tell if s/he is a pullet or a Roo. Here are some pics from this evening. Thank you all!!
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    Hi, welcome to BYC....
    Im not good on judging silkie genders... but i think its a roo(just a guess)

3. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Is the first picture a little distorted? The crest in that picture looks like it's really swept back, which is a good indication of a cockerel. However the crest looks fairly round in the other side on shots, which is characteristic of a pullet!

4. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Hard to say... I'm guessing pullet

5. powersurbanfarm

Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Bragg, Ca
    No the first pic is not distorted. The crest goes up and a little back. But the rest of it is a big puff ball and there are no streamers coming in on the back. S/He is a poor example of a silkie though I think because the feet feathers are VERY scraggly and hard. They have been like that and sparse since I got it at the local feed store. There is absolutely NO comb though, which makes me think pullet. It is a very confusing little chick. My friend said that I should change the name from Georgia to Hermie because the gender is so confusing.

6. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Pullet

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    this does NOT hold true for hatchery silkies at all.

there is really no comb development at all the crest has no streamers. looks like a pullet so far

8. powersurbanfarm

Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Bragg, Ca
    Here is a picture of the silkie in question with my DD. It gives you a better view of the crest.
    [​IMG]

9. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Do you mean that hatchery silkie pullets can have a "cockerel-like" crest that is swept back?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  10. I'm pretty sure it's a roo. (because of the tail)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by