Silkie Roo question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kaitlyn_rae2003, Jun 28, 2010.

1. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Songster

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    should I go by the same 1 roo per 10 hens rule, with silkies too? I have 6 four week old silkies, and 3 two week old silkies. Im sure ill have more roo luck then anything else! just want to be prepared, will I have to rehome them? or can i keep like 2 or 3? in my other coop, i have 4 RIR, and 4 frizzle mixes. 1 of which is a roo. Not sold on him for life tho...any thoughts? I know silkies are more docile and laid back, but I dont want to ruin the girls lives, with too many men! Any advice is appreciated!

2. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Songster

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    Silkies are so docile that several males can live together without a problem. The lady I got my silkies from keeps 4 males in a pen together with no females and they never fight. If you're going to keep them all together just make sure each male has at least 2 or 3 females for himself. They will pick favorites and as horomones rage there may be a few squabbles but I've never seen a silkie fight last more than a few seconds.

3. Keri78

Keri78 Songster

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    I have 6 boys and 4 girls in a coop now...no issues...although I am hoping to rehome a few boys.

4. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Songster

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    Honestly, I would keep all my males if I could, but thats just WAAYY too many roosters crowing! I brought in a mutt rooster once for awhile and he quickly established dominance over everyone and made sure they all knew he was the man and the only one allowed to crow. It was nice for a bit till his crowing got way too out of control. When I had to rehome him for crowing at 1am at the local mockingbird the silkies soon resumed their chorus of crowing. They all get along so well and never argue, though my little serama roo backed by his busty serama women are starting to grow some cohones (sp?) and are trying to push dominance. Too bad his squeaky puberty crow doesn't even come close to my main silkie mans!

5. the silkiee i had tried to kill each other and riped the comb perty bad befor i broak it up so it just depends the 2 i had grew up in same group

6. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Songster

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    Thanks so much for the replies! Im thinking I will wait it out a little longer, and see if I can determine any of their genders....tricky to do, and go from there. Thanks again!

7. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Songster

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    You really won't know till they start crowing or laying eggs. They'll start to develop the look just before they get to that point. Watch their personalities. You'll get more attached to some than others. If you have one roo thats particularly mean to all the others you'll know who to get rid of. If they all get along just fine then you'll be fine

8. bigchicken2

bigchicken2 Songster

May 17, 2010
    1 roo- 5 hens You can get a lot of chickens with no problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by