Silkie roo + sexlinks.... question!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by technodoll, Nov 23, 2009.

1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Does anyone have pics of what this mix looks like when grown up?

My silkie pullet has gone broody so we will let her hatch a few eggs.

My laying hens are all sexlinks (I have red and black) and my two roos are white silkies.

Very curious... would the resulting chickens be ugly? would any resulting girls be poor layers of small eggs?

[​IMG]

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Klamath County, OR
    I don't know if they'll be good layers or not, but two of my Easter Egger hens hatched out half-Silkie and half Easter Egger chicks in August. They are adorable -- they all have at least a small crest. They are only about three months old now, so I won't know how well they lay until next year (I've got six pullets and two cockerels). One of these days if I can figure out how my camera works, I'll see if I can post some pictures.

Kathleen

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    All silkie X standard breed crossed that I have seen end up being pretty much standard sized, have small crests, feathered leggs, and smooth feathered. The colors will vary depending on the breed they were crossed with.

4. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    But would crossing a silkie with a mutt (sexlinks are mutts, right? LOL) result in chickens that are half-bantam... ie quite small... and produce smaller eggs than normal?

Really curious!

5. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Well I'm not sure if it would make a difference as far as the size produced weather the silkie is the mother or the father, but the ones that I've seen are just a little smaller than or about the same size as standard fowl. As far as eggs, I'm not sure, my silkies already lay a medium sized egg so I'm thinkin the egg size could be about as large as most standard eggs.

6. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    OK, that's reassuring then... my silkie roos don't look small but they're very light... like a bag of feathers [​IMG]

And my silkie hen's eggs, you could mistake them for pigeon eggs: minuscule!

Hence my worries, LOL!

Thanks everyone!

7. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I guess we'll have to see what you get, be sure to keep us posted.

8. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Yep... I'll first see what eggs miss broody will be sitting on for the next three weeks since none are laid yet...

Dunno what my sexlinks will give me tomorrow morning!

Oh, btw: this is just THRILLING!!

[​IMG]

Um... as long as I'm not setting myself up for heartbreak...

9. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yep, it sounds interesting. I plan to cross silkies with other LF breeds to get good broody hens and increase size so they can set more eggs.

10. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Here is a pic of my Silkie X somethin, bantam hen. There's another post some where with a pic of a Silkie X RIR.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by