Silkie Roo trying to kill my Silkie pullett,,Help!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BackSwampGirl, Jan 24, 2009.

1. BackSwampGirl

BackSwampGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    [​IMG] I am so upset,I have a beautiful Black Silkie pullett.We got a Black Silkie Roo to mate her.But she is scared almost to death.She has never been around another Silkie Roo.She had a Black Silkie Pullett that was with her.So we exchanged her for a Black Silkie Roo.And she is so upset,and she hides.She is scared so bad.I don`t feel like she should be in the pen with him.What should I do.She has always been a baby to us.She is nine months old.I know that sometimes a Roo will kill a hen.We have had this to happen before.And don`t want this to happen again....Help!!!!

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Are you sure you aren't mistaking it as mating behavior? He may just be asserting his dominance.

3. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    If possible, put them in two separate coops for awhile, but put them side by side and let them get used to one another. I try to do this before I introduce a new hen or roo to a group or a lone hen. I find it helps a lot! But still watch them closely when you put them together.....roos are so different and you don't want her getting hurt.
    I had 3 really mean Silkie roos and I relocated two of them and the other one calmed right down and was very good with the girls! Your new roo could have been in this situation!
    Good luck!

4. BackSwampGirl

BackSwampGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    [​IMG] I really think that si what the problem is.Because she is a pet.And has never been introduced to a roo before.So tonight we put the roo in a separate pen,right beside of the two hens.So he will have to calm down or go one or the other.I cna`t take seeing my chicks being hurt.Thanks so much.In the morning we will see what happens then.So we really feel like she is ok right now.Because he can`t get to her.She is like Now try to hurt me!!!!...I love my silkies.But I hate a mean Roo.Thanks again to all replys,Sandra

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by