Silkie Roo vs Hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bcmama, Oct 14, 2012.

1. bcmama

bcmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    My Coop
    I have two silkies that are currently 13 weeks old. Neither have very obvious wattles or combs at this point, though one is larger than the other (the small one was the runt and almost died at a few days old but we saved it). So I was wondering at what age do wattles and combs become prominent in silkies? Should I be able to tell a roo from a hen at this age?
    Thanks

2. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Some people have a hard time telling male from females in silkies as some are hard to tell. If you are able to post pics of the birds you are wondering about it would help a lot.

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    silkies can be one of the hardest breeds to sex

4. bcmama

Jul 12, 2012
    My Coop
    So here are some pictures. The "girls" are 13 weeks old. Also does it seem like the black one is bearded and the buff not?

Gertie

[​IMG]
    She is just starting to get the mulberry coloring.
    Gertie

[​IMG]
    She got her face sticky with apple and her feathers are all pushed back. I guess it's chicken hair gel.

Peeps (the sickly runty one, though healthy now but smaller than Gertie)

[​IMG]

Peeps

[​IMG]

Both "girls"

[​IMG]

5. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    The pics helped but not much. Really hard to tell. Neither of your silkies has a distinct what I call pom pom and that would indicate usually a female. Both of yours have very slicked backed crests which are usually males. But what is throwing me off is the lack of comb/wattles. Again could be girls, but not 100%. Are these silkies hatchery/feed store silkies or did you get them from a reputable breeder. Here are some pics of some silkies I had earlier this year. I think in these pics they were close to 3 months old. They have since found new homes. But posted is a male and 2 females so you can see for comparison.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Above 2 are the females. Below is the male

[​IMG]

6. bcmama

Jul 12, 2012
    My Coop
    No they are feed store chicks from Privett Hatchery. Probably just have to wait until they crow or lay. Though the black one hasn't even started making an adult chicken noise yet and still peeps like a baby chick. We love her most.

Your silkies are very lovely! Thanks for answering.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by