Silkie Roo wants to come inside house

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gladyskravitz, Dec 28, 2013.

1. gladyskravitz

gladyskravitz New Egg

Dec 28, 2013
    We have 2 pullets and a Silkie rooster. A new pattern has developed with our rooster. Every night around dusk, the roo comes to the sliding glass door to our house and pecks at it until we let him in. The 2 hens are down the hill from our house, by their coop waiting for us to secure them inside for the night. What is up with our roo? Shouldn't he want to be down with the hens, who he watches over throughout the day quite dutifully. When we bring him inside he wants to be held and acts very anxious the whole time. We normally caary him down to the coop to be with the hens, and all seems copacetic once he's inside. Any thoughts on this weird behavior at dusk? I should mention all 3 birds were kept in a pen in our garage until 2weeks ago, when we felt they were old enough to be outdoors. They are 5 months old.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I would put a little light that comes on inside the coop (even a battery powered one) to entice them inside at dusk.

They sound like they are worried to go inside the coop. It may be dark and scary to them. Alternatively, do they have to go up a ramp? Silkies sometimes resist going up ramps initially.

3. MrPaterax

MrPaterax Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2013
    I have a hen who does this, I think it's pretty cute :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by