Silkie roo with 6 other hens??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bigdogmom130, Jul 29, 2010.

1. bigdogmom130

bigdogmom130 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    If I decide to keep my little Silkie Roo, will he be ok with 7 hens? I have 2 Golden Comets and an EE that are 1 1/2 years old, and 2 Welsummers and a BO that are 3 weeks old. He's 5 weeks old and I was thinking of getting rid of him, but the more he's here the more I want to keep him. Also, will he get mean or hurt the hens when he is older? I've never had a Roo before so this is all new to me. Thank you [​IMG]

2. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    There's no reason why they shouldn't all get along. I had a little silky roo with my girls for about 11/2 yrs, and he was a good guy, found treats for them, sounded alarms and wasn't mean at all, but he did mate with who ever he could, but being little he had a hard time connecting with some of the bigger hens. He should be just fine. I still have him but I had to separate him from my big BLRW roo. He took over the silkys position.

3. bigdogmom130

Apr 23, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks for the advice. I had someone who wanted him and then they backed out due to their county laws on chicks. Now I'm back to square one with decisions on keeping him or not. This is harder than I thought. He's so darned cute!!

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I have a silkie roo with 18 large fowl girls and they get along great. He never tries to breed them and they treat him like one of the gang.

5. bigdogmom130

Apr 23, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    Wow, really? I always thought Roos had to do "the deed" with the hens or they became mean or aggressive. You can tell I have no experience with Roos, but I'm trying. I really want to keep him, but my hubby is convinced that he will be a problem. My little BO is really attached to him and they sleep together and play together. I'll have to show him this post and do more research on Silkie roos. Thanks so much!

6. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    he'll be ok... roosters will be roosters... the hens know their place in their pecking order... I have a sebright running with orpingtons hens no problem... and, given the chance, they'll breed too.. not as high in fertility, but it will happen.

7. bigdogmom130

Apr 23, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks for all the advice. I'm leaning more toward keeping him [​IMG] He's the cutest thing and my little ladies just love him. Not sure how the bigger girls will react - I guess it's just a wait and see.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Be careful upon introduction. It's more likely that the standard sized hens will hurt him until he can assert himself. I would introduce him gradually starting with the lowest hens in the pecking order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by