Silkie roo with easter eggers, would the babies be ugly?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Shellyb, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Shellyb

Shellyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    I want a roo in with my easter egger chicks, but a nice one. Would the chicks from that breeding be ugly? Anyone have pics? Thanks

2. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    I had a white silkie roo in with my bantam EE's.......my mother begged me to hatch some of the eggs out. IMO it was something I should have never done. They weren't my cup of tea but they were kinda cute and kinda scary at the same time. Looked like punk rockers, especially the roos. I will see if I can find some photos. [​IMG]

Sorry...no photo just looked. I must have deleted them after I sold them. I did like them they were not flighty and pretty friendly, but the girls from that hatch upon maturity went broody almost immediately upon laying eggs.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  3. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I have some that were a white silkie hen x EE rooster.

The babies are strange looking. Don't have any terribly recent pictures. The two big white and black ones are the two silkie/ee chicks.

[​IMG]

4. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    I love my silkie x EE's!!! Here are two of them, Dotty (left) and Hawkeye (right):

[​IMG]

And here is Dusty:

[​IMG]

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess!

5. Shellyb

Shellyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    thank you for your responses. I think those birds are cute actually. I think I forgot to mention that they are LF easter eggers. Will that make a difference? Will it cause problems with hatching chicks? Thanks again.

6. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    If the silkie is the rooster the only problem i foresee is whether or not he can "get the job done".

I had the opposite....where the hen was the bitty silkie and the rooster was a big ol standard sized EE. So these big ol chicks hatched out of little bantam eggs. Seemed to work fine [​IMG]

7. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    With mine, the rooster was the silkie and the hens were LF Ameraucanas and EE's. He had absolutely NO problem "getting the job done" - after all, where there's a will there's a way!!! LOL! So, mine came from large blue eggs - and the hens have gone on to lay small/medium sized blue eggs. Hawkeye (my rooster from above) runs with my free range flock now, and I hatched some of his hen's dark brown eggs this past spring and got a few pullets - I'm hoping they'll be olive eggers.

8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    This is one of my SilkiexEE roosters. [​IMG] He had a brother that was red Where he has white and both had the same parents.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by