Silkie roo with eye injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JoanieMay, Aug 5, 2011.

1. JoanieMay

JoanieMay Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2009
    Woolwich, ME
    My black Silkie roo has an eye injury. I noticed it nearly a week ago, and have been trying to doctor it. I used some tripple antibiotic ointment in the eye, the only change I can see is I am pretty sure he is blind. I assume he and another roo had a squabble, tho there are no other injuries on his body. He could have poked it on a shrub branch, they have been camping out in the bushes in the hot weather during the day. The eye is cloudy, at first I felt I could see a wound on the eyeball, there was a spot or two of blood in his eye, now it is cloudy. There is a grayish matter in the eye when it is time to clean it. I have used saline or artificial tears to flush the eye, then the tripple antibiotic ointment. His eye is swollen around the socket, at least a quarter of an inch all around it. What else can you suggest I do for him? Should he be on antibiotics? I have Tylan 50 injectable and Terramycin on hand. I just hope he has not lost the sight in his eye, I want to do all I can for him. He is eating, drinking, and acting pretty normal. Delila (yes, he is a roo, however he got his name before he crowed) is a sweet guy. I sure would appreciate any help you can give me.
    JoanieMay

2. JoanieMay

JoanieMay Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2009
    Woolwich, ME
    Sorry to bring this up front again, but I would really appreciate it if someone would give me some input. Is there something else I could be doing for my roo's eye? I stopped using the tripple antibiotic, I am not sure this is a good thing for him. I read somewhere a while back that the antibiotic would help an eye injury. Has anyone else had this happen to their chicken, and if so what did you do? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by