Silkie Roo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AngieB, Jun 26, 2010.

1. AngieB

AngieB In the Brooder

Nov 29, 2009
    Livonia
    Please tell me our beloved little cutie pie "Vanilla" is not a roo!
    This morning we heard our first "Cocka-doodle-doo. Our 12 chickens are about 3 months old.
    When I went out to the coop to investigate, not a peep.
    Hubby says no roosters. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  2. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Songster

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    If you just had the one rooster, that's not so bad. If he is a nice roo, you may want to keep him, besides, silkie roos are beautiful! Does your husband not want roosters on account of the crowing?

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Crowing

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Sorry, looks like a Roo to me.

4. A rooster for sure.

5. AngieB

AngieB In the Brooder

Nov 29, 2009
    Livonia
    We ordered 9 standard hens, 3 bantam buff brahmas, and 1 silike. So chances are it's one of the 4 bantams since they weren't sexed. Although one of our plymouth barred rocks is suspect too.

Yeah, even tho we are legal to keep roosters, hubby is afraid the crowing will annoy him and our neighbors. We're not giving up that easy if it's the silike. He/She is our favorite and the friendliest chicken we have. My daughter carries her around all day like a stuffed animal and hand feeds her her "baby chow."

I just hope Vanilla keeps it to a couple calls per morning and doesn't crow nonstop. What should I expect as far as noise? Is he just getting started? The coop is right outside our bedroom window.

6. AngieB

AngieB In the Brooder

Nov 29, 2009
    Livonia
    Here's a closeup

[​IMG]

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:WOW! rosster for sure! Tell Hubbie its the neighbors birds crowing!

8. Critter Crazed

Critter Crazed Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead

Jun 22, 2009
    Looks like a roo. [​IMG]

Just so you know, my favorite chicken turned out to be a rooster and my parents said NOO roosters cuz it would bother us and the neighbors. I just couldn't part with the little guy.. they let me keep him. The neighbors actually like hearing the rooster crow! And the others aren't phased by it. And the crowing never wakes anybody up. I was soooo sad when I found out he was a roo. Hopefully you can keep him. [​IMG]

9. AngieB

AngieB In the Brooder

Nov 29, 2009
    Livonia
    Thanks for your story, Critter Crazed. I hope ours has a happy ending too! My husband said his biggest concern is somone complains to the city and the inspector comes out here nosing around. We didn't get proper permits for our deck, chicken coop, etc. So he said it could just be a big can of worms.

I told him I will approach our adjoining neighbors and ask them if it bothers them to avoid a call to the city.

But it will depend how often/loud the crowing is too. I think a couple crows each morning we can deal with, which is all it was this morning.

10. henney penny

henney penny Songster

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    My silkie rooster crows very little,and its a differant crow like someone with the croup,so its not very loud

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by