Silkie Roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by RAWR, Jun 28, 2010.

1. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    my silkie roo died, so now i need a new one [​IMG]
    at the moment i have 3 whites, 1 blue, and i think a splash
    what color roo would work for those colors and how much does a silkie roo cost?
    so far i have $4 in my "Silkie Roo Funds"
    would a roo be that hard to find? i live in SW Indiana

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2010
  2. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    Its all going to depend on the quality you want. If you want just a pet quality one, you are looking at usually $5-10. If you want decent breeder quality or something with show potential (maybe just not in condition right now), then you are looking roughly in the $25-50 range. If you want something that has a proven show record, in perfect condition right now, and is a proven breeder (AI or natural), then you are probably looking $75-250. Now is the time of the year to pick them up while people are thinning out their growout pens. If you can pick up something decent locally you will save yourself $60+ in shipping charges.

3. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    Oh yeah and the PQ or even mediocre quality ones are very easy to find. I sell lots of them to the Asians or pet homes every year because I don't think they are the caliber that should be bred from. Finding a 'awesome' show caliber one is quite a bit harder.

4. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    so sorry to hear about your boy [​IMG] you should be able to find one. most breeders have extra roos. If I was closer I could help you out [​IMG]

5. RAWR

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    lol thanks guys :3
    i forgot to add but i will travel [​IMG]

6. RAWR

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    sorry about the bumb but its something i just thought of
    if u have a PQ roo and a show worthy hen, could u still sell the chicks for a reasonable price?

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:You can have 2 amazing birds, but paired together you get crud. You could also have 2 subpar birds which paired together you get amazing offspring.

8. RAWR

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    Quote:You can have 2 amazing birds, but paired together you get crud. You could also have 2 subpar birds which paired together you get amazing offspring.

awewsome [​IMG] just what i needed to know
    so far i have $6 to spend on a roo [​IMG]
    PQ is perfectly fine with me cuz i more then likly wont show them, and i just want something to hug and pet when im having a bad day
    (also i see what silkie eggs can for, and a little extra cash wouldnt hurt [​IMG] )

9. FF

FF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Can't you place an ad on craigslist looking for one and maybe you could do some trading?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by