Silkie roo

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by towens, Jan 8, 2015.

1. towens

towens New Egg

Oct 12, 2014
    I have a black silkie rooster, and three hens. An ameraucana, lavender orpington, and a cochin bantam. Does anyone know the possibilities of him mating with any of my hens? My ameraucana has been laying for about two months now, so I know she is ready. However, when he tries to "mount" her, most of the time she fights him off. I have seen her squat for him, but he doesn't seem to be able to "hit the right spot" for lack of better words.

Also, He has had some respiratory problems the last two weeks, sneezing/coughing. I have put all four on Duramycin 10, but he has dropped some weight. I want to deworm all of them but not sure how long to wait, if I have to wait, after they finish antibiotics.

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    He'll find away to do it. [​IMG] I've had roosters and in the beginning they aren't very sure, but he'll mate with them.

1 person likes this.
  3. towens

towens New Egg

Oct 12, 2014
    My Silkie rooster is still not well. It's been almost 3 weeks now. He's eating, drinking, crowing, and chasing hens, but he has a cough. He has had two penicillin shots and is currently on the ninth day of Duramycin 10. I don't know what to do at this point. He is, by far, my favorite, very sweet and very protective over the girls. No poultry vets in my area. If anyone has any ideas what I can do to get rid of his "barky" cough, PLEASE help me...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by