Silkie Roos or Hens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MissyC2012, Jan 13, 2016.

1. MissyC2012

MissyC2012 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2016
    Madison, TN
    We are having trouble determining if our latest batch of Silkie mix are roosters or hens. My hubby says Roo for both, but they don't act like the other Silkie roo we have (their father) at all. They were born at Thanksgiving. They are shown in the picture below, which actually shows our entire indoor flock right now (too cold to put them outside just yet). They are sitting on the pole on either side of our baby roo Cutesie, Cutesie and Turtle (the white hen on the floor) were born at Halloween, the 3 babies on the pole born at Thanksgiving, and the Sussex babies in the back were born at Christmas.
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. torilovessmiles

torilovessmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    They both look kind of like boys to me, especially at this age

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hard to tell because they are mixed - they have a lot of silkie in them but, what is the other parent? Your hen at the bottom is very nice.

4. MissyC2012

MissyC2012 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2016
    Madison, TN
    This is a picture of the parents of all of the birds above. We were told when we purchased the white hen and rooster as chicks at the local co-op that they were Rocks, but they follow more along the Silkie in their temperament, egg production and somewhat in their looks. I am not sure exactly which breed they are.

[​IMG]

5. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Thry are both roosters, sorry!

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

They don't act like roosters yet cause they're still babies. They do look male at this point.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I agree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by