silkie rooster aggressive towards others. how to break?

tadpole98

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Missouri
Oh good gravy. I bought two silkie hens and a rooster this sunday from a lady on Craigslist. I bought the rooster bc she said how protective he was, and i thought 'ohh goody!! If the owl comes back then he can save them'. why did i listen??
hmm.png
He IS protective, of himself and his girls. but he just seems to want to go around and pick fights. the day i got him i let him out of his carrier and he just went from rooster to rooster trying to beat them up. I kept trying to stop him by kicking them apart. but i finally had to isolate him when he ended up with a bloody eye and patches of blood on his feet and wings.
this morning i thought i would give him a second chance so i let him back out. as soon as he was out he went straight for the biggest rooster we have (about four times as big as the silkie). Knowing that would be the end of him I picked him up and put him in a little separate run we have so he can still scratch around but be safe at the safe time. (and so he wasnt alone i put his two girls with him since he likes them)
how am i supposed to get him to stop?? If i cant break him we are either eating him or selling him. Im not gonna breed him bc i dont want those aggressive traits passed down.
in the meanwhile, we are getting a separate coop from a guy in westphalia. it will hold around 10 chickens. brand new coop he built and was pretty much giving it away. my dad comes home with it tonight and they will all go in there. it has a cute little run and everything.
but another question i have:
I hatched out 8 chicks two months ago (but i lost one to an owl
sad.png
). I dont think they are big enough to put in with the big chickens so do u think it would be okay if i put them with the silkies? I want them to be able to get out and peck at stuff in the day (right now they are in a big brooder).
This whole situation is messed up .

Him fighting other roosters is not aggressive, and is totally normal. He wants them to know that he is not to be messed with. If he was attacking you or other hens I would say something different. This is why I warn against adding a silkie rooster with a non silkie rooster. There is no match, and the bigger one will win. My silkie rooster gave his spot away before getting badly injured, but is often chased around by my head rooster Jagger.

Also, all of my roosters are good with chicks. I would give it a try. My silkie rooster loves chicks.

Him fighting other roosters is not aggressive, and is totally normal. He wants them to know that he is not to be messed with. If he was attacking you or other hens I would say something different. This is why I warn against adding a silkie rooster with a non silkie rooster. There is no match, and the bigger one will win. My silkie rooster gave his spot away before getting badly injured, but is often chased around by my head rooster Jagger.

Also, all of my roosters are good with chicks. I would give it a try. My silkie rooster loves chicks.
Ohhh okay
roll.png
I thought it was. The other hens are attacking him, he isnt doing it to them first.
I got this one bc the lady said he was:
protective of himself and his hens
he brings food over to the girls in the morning (picking it up and placing it by them, repeat)
and he will babysit the chicks xD

Adult roosters rarely get along together if they aren't raised together and even then it can be ugly. I would keep the Silkies and chicks in a different coop.

If the other hens already have a "man" they will not like him or if they are older hens they may show dominance over him.

If the other hens already have a "man" they will not like him or if they are older hens they may show dominance over him.
they have 8 men actually..
roll.png

Adult roosters rarely get along together if they aren't raised together and even then it can be ugly. I would keep the Silkies and chicks in a different coop.
do you mean the silkies and chicks together in a different coop or silkies and chicks separate in different coops?
hide.gif

they have 8 men actually.. :rolleyes: do you mean the silkies and chicks together in a different coop or silkies and chicks separate in different coops?:oops:
I had the silkies in the grow out pen - which is where I keep the chicks. My rooster covered them to keep them warm, fed them and watched out for danger. He still doesn't get along with the other roos, but he respects them enough to give them space. Jagger still picks on him occasionally. I say give him a chance. Poor guy is just being his normal self. I think defending his girls like you are describing is a trait worth passing down! Especially if he IS good with chicks :)
_MG_3025.jpg
Here is my rooster with one of his sons (who was around 8 weeks old) and another young chick. Silkies are very good with chicks for the most part. Right now I have older girls that haven't even started laying - and they are keeping a bunch of chicks warm at night.

Last edited:
Im am gonna keep him :)
I put him in the new separate coop and put the seven chicks in with him and.. he loves them!! Lol even the cocks !
big_smile.png
hes such a sweetie when not around other roos :)

Back
Top Bottom