Silkie rooster and mating

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by amos58, Dec 6, 2008.

1. amos58

amos58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    I have an 8 month old silkie rooster 4 silkie hens and a cochin hen. I have never seen the rooster try to mate, once in awhile he will nudge the hen in the face but thats it. I don't know if it makes a difference but he was the runt, very very tiny when born, he has caught up to the hens size now. So why doesn't he have an interest?
    Thanks

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Maybe he's just behind b/c he just started catching up !! Some take longer then others, I noticed my silkie roosters take longer than my BR's.

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Silkies do take a while. Is there any other roos around? A more dominant roo would discourage him. How old are the girls? If they're not laying, yet they wouldn't want to mate yet or if they're signifigantly older than he is, they might not let him.

4. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    First thing you need to think about is if he can see well. He may need some of his poof trimmed. My roo is 6 months and since I have trimmed his poof he has been mating with the females. You may not always see your roo mating if your hens are laying then check the eggs to see if they are fertile. If there is a more dominate rooster in with them this may be another reason he is now breeding but Silkies do take alot more longer to mature.

5. amos58

amos58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Thank you to all of you for the responses. I guess I'll just have to be patient. He is the only roo in the bunch,and he is the same age as some of the hens, others a few months older. The hens are laying. Good to hear silkies take longer and he is still maturing.. He doesn't have the typical poof like the hens, he has his stragglers on the back of his head. I originally didn't want a rooster, but this little chick had my heart, turned out to be a rooster and couldn't part with him. Up until now he has never been aggresive, hope he stays that way.
    Thank you again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by