Silkie rooster and RIR rooster

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by joshbparker, Sep 12, 2014.

1. joshbparker

joshbparker Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Winton, North Carolina
    I need to know if I can keep a silkie rooster and a RIR rooster together. Please help!!!

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    You can, but if they are close in age, you can expect some fights - especially if there aren't enough hens to go around. Generally, it's recommended to keep roosters about two years apart... That way the senior rooster pretty much rules the roost until he winds up on your plate.

If you have enough space and keep enough girlfriends for them, they should find their own peace.

Good luck!

MrsB

3. joshbparker

Apr 28, 2013
    Winton, North Carolina
    Well the silkie rooster is a year and the RIR is a couple of months.

4. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    They should be fine. They'll figure out who is boss.

Now if the young guy is a trouble-maker and won't quit fighting and always instigates, you might want to consider getting a different rooster and having an early Thanksgiving.

No room for mean roos.

MrsB

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I've raised both Silkies and RIRs and I would not personally recommend it. RIRs are sometimes aggressive (especially the roosters), and as your RIR rooster matures, at some point he is going to seriously batter your Silkie rooster, possibly even fatally injuring him. I eventually completely separated all my Silkies from the standard breed flock because they were taking such abuse. The same was also true of my Polish, so I ended up keeping the Silkies and Polish together in a large run and the two breeds got along fabulously.

6. joshbparker

Apr 28, 2013
    Winton, North Carolina
    Thanks!!!

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by