Silkie rooster attacked by hens!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gaving101, Feb 14, 2015.

1. gaving101

gaving101 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2015
    California
    my very small silkie rooster is deathly afraid of my RIR hen. She attacks him whenever she gets the chance. For the most part the other hens seem to like him but not her. What should I do ??? Any suggestions? :(

2. jannakaye

jannakaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    I have the exact opposite problem. My roo attacks my hens (and anything else he can get to) to the point of bringing blood! I've had to separate him from the rest of the flock and he now lives in his own run. Maybe put one of them in a cage where they can see but not get to each other? That's what I do when I introduce new birds and when the new one get let out the older girls aren't as harsh on the new one.

3. gaving101

Feb 8, 2015
    California
    ok thanks I'll try that! :)

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If you're going to separate one, make sure its the aggressor. Your hen is the one ruling the roost in your coop, she needs to loose quite a few places in the pecking order to (hopefully) curb her behavior. If your rooster had established himself at the top of the pecking order, which is where he should be to be able to keep his hens in line, she wouldn't be picking on him.
    That being said, Silkies have a reputation of being very docile and RIRs tend to be on the aggressive side. He's a bit disadvantaged due to the size difference alone. If he's got a large crest, that might also be hindering him, give him a hair cut if that's the case.
    Good luck.

5. gaving101

Feb 8, 2015
    California
    Thanks so much !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by