Silkie Rooster attacked by other rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mauilatte, Mar 1, 2014.

1. mauilatte

mauilatte New Egg

Mar 1, 2014
    Hi All. I came home yesterday to find my rooster almost lifeless and being stomped on by another rooster.
    He has been open mouth breathing and not very responsive since then. He has no visible bleeding or injuries.
    He is not eating or drinking. I have been giving him small drops of water in his mouth to keep it dry but he does not swallow it.
    I feel like he may have a collapsed lung because he seems to work at taking each breath.
    Can anyone tell me how long he may be able to go without food/water as he heals?
    I am still hoping for recovery because he seem slightly better today than yesterday. Thank-you for any advice. Traci

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Poor silkie. He might be experiencing some shock after the trauma. He can go without food for a few days, but I would keep trying to offer water or dripping it down the opening of the side of his beak. I hope he starts eating soon. If he doesn't drink or eat in a few days then there are instructions on this forum on tube feeding birds. Try search "tube feeding" if it comes to that.

3. mauilatte

mauilatte New Egg

Mar 1, 2014
    Thanks scratch n peck. He is swallowing a few drops of water at a time.
    It has been 48 hours since I found him. He is just sitting in a box and open-mouth breathing.
    I am just waiting and hoping he will pull through. He is more than just a pet and I cannot imagine my backyard without him.
    Thanks Traci

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Yes,i agree it could be an internal problem,only time will tell if he will pull through. Is a vet a possibility?

He cannot go without water,birds become dehydrated very fast. Food maybe a couple of days,they require a constant supply of food to fuel the high metabolic bodies,without food they become lethargic and often die. Tube feeding ensures he is getting the required food/fluids,my only concern is his breathing issues,tube feeding may cause him more stress than he can handle right now,not saying this will happen,only that it is a possibility. Keep hydrating him as you have been doing.

Keep him warm,when ill/injured birds cannot regulate their body temp.

5. mauilatte

mauilatte New Egg

Mar 1, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My Lumpy didn't make it. I will miss him always. [​IMG]

6. fairfieldvtchix

fairfieldvtchix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2014
    Fairfield VT
    [​IMG] I'm very sorry for your loss.
    You tried and that's what matters.

7. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm sorry Lumpy did not make it. You did what you could. He was a cute little guy.

8. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    So sorry for Lumpy... you did your best. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by