Silkie Rooster Attacking Me!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by xograce, Dec 19, 2018.

1. xograce

xograce Hatching

Dec 19, 2018
    Hey everyone!!

I have had my silkies for about 5 months and raised them since they were 1 week old chicks. I have two roosters who get along very well and five hens. Recently I have been letting them roam around my yard and there have been no problems... Aside from my splash rooster attacking me every time I come out of the back door! He jumps at my legs and stomps his feet at me, but doesn't raise his hackles or continue this behavior for longer than thirty seconds. Is there a way I can correct it or is it something I'll always have to put up with? He doesn't injure me at all, it's just a big scare and an inconvenience!

Thank you much!

m1chelle1 and Killer Tomato like this.
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You need to come outside with a tool like a fishing net where you can scoop him up, and basically annoy and scare him. Eventually he should run the other way, and hopefully knocks it off totally before it becomes a bad habit.

casportpony likes this.
  3. m1chelle1

m1chelle1 Songster

Jan 12, 2017
    The Great PNW
    Ive raised quite a few friendly cockerels and roosters. The only mean rooster ive ever had was a silkie, and I have no clue why. With that said, seems like if hes not attacking you, it should be ok. He may be mistaking you for a predator when you come into view, then he notices its you, and lets off. How long has the splash silkie been doing this for? Is it new behavior? He may just be getting used to seeing you come out the back door...

4. Saaniya

Saaniya Crowing

Aug 31, 2017
    New Delhi India

It's a typical behavior of a young rooster what u need to is to train him
    I train my both rooster they now come to me.by running never peck

Whenever they come becoming a ball full in engery just make them attract to something else u can use a tool.or just hands

I.use to stop them with my hands and. Tell them.No tootoo No teetee they pretty understand what I command I don't know how

But as u call him.with his name he will start knowing u

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Young roosters attacking people isn't typical behaviors. None of my roosters ever come at me ever. I don't handle and pet them. I raise multiple roosters a year. They grow up with a healthy respect of me. A rooster who attacks see humans as part of the pecking order to be conquered and controlled, generally because he was handled as a chick.

aart, 2 many chickens and WVduckchick like this.
  6. Thejperez

Thejperez Crowing

Oct 7, 2014
    Florida
    Here's my post in this thread about a aggressive hen. I do what I posted with just about any rooster I've owned. The whole thread is full of useful knowledge about how to deal with aggressive chickens.

My chicken is a bully![/URL

7. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I had a polish Cockerel and he attacked me daily. I got rid of him quickly. I also have a Silkie Cockerel that's displaying bad behaviour and I'll give him till spring or till he actually attacks me and then he is gone too.

8. chickens really

Your Birds are different..You don't confine your Birds really.

9. dalasgalas

dalasgalas Songster

Nov 3, 2015
    Austin TX
    Is that because you are breeding out aggression in your flock?

chickens really likes this.
  10. chickens really

Definitely I don't tolerate aggressive behaviour from any animals here. Too many nice males to deal with aggressive ones.

Ribh likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: