1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

silkie Rooster cross breeding with rhode Island Red?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pamkerley, Sep 24, 2010.

1. pamkerley

pamkerley New Egg

May 16, 2010
    We ended up with a silkie rooster. I am glad we have it and the kids want to try to get babies. Do I need to worry about the rooster "mating" with my Rhode Island, Americauna or barred rock chickens?

2. roosters4sale

roosters4sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    missouri
    Its possible. Especially, if he doesn't have any other roosters to compete with.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes, he may mate with the larger hens. What would the worry be?

4. shortnsweet1025

shortnsweet1025 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    That would be an interesting combo.[​IMG]

5. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    They will mate with the bigger hens, i have a silkie roo who mated with my bigger RIR's all the time and this is what came out
    they dont look as good as they do now, they were 8 weeks old on those pictures and the little red one on the bottom was 5 weeks old thats why he or she looks smaller.
    Btw my silkie roo is Splash Blue, and well my RIR is red ofcourse so Idk where do those whiteish chicks got the color from, but none of them are silkiie fetather.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. SilkieShar

SilkieShar Just Hatched

Dec 4, 2010
    I'm just now losing my RIR X Silkie crosses at 11 years old. I'm down to two. These were some of my favorite chickens of all that I've ever had. They were large enough to lay a decent egg, had the silkie temperament and broodiness, were very good mothers, and the roo was as sweet as he could be.

Enjoy your rir silkie crosses and I hope you like them as well as I did. I wish I had access to more!

7. CrimsonRose

CrimsonRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    wow great pics thanks so much for posting... we have a silkie roo and some RIR hens and I just added some eggs in the bator and was hoping to get a decent chicken out of the cross... [​IMG]

8. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    Our little silky breed everyone! RIR's, Orpingtons, Leghorns, BR's, etc, Most of our girls would even squat for him before he would even dance. They love him!

9. oconnorfamily25

oconnorfamily25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Not sure how those combos are going to work out.......you might have some very interesting looking chicks!!!!!!!

10. geordymark

geordymark New Egg

Aug 1, 2011
    I have a ginger / copper coloured silkie cockerel of unknown herritage and some pedigree white silkie hens. Were expecting 11 chicks some time in the next few days and were unsure how they will turn out once they grow up. Does any one have any experience of crossing different coloured silkies and the colour combinations that result?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by