Silkie Rooster Eye is Open Dark and has Greenish Pus In It

DrinkTheRainbow

Songster
9 Years
Jan 1, 2011
Altoona, Wisconsin
1) Silkie Rooster at Least 1 year old - What type of bird , age and weight.
2) He is an "outcasted" rooster who stays all alone and when he gets close to the alpha rooster he totally freaks out and panics - What is the behavior, exactly.
3) He has had an eye infection for a while but now it got worse and he's opening it. The other eye is fine though. - How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) No. No one else... - Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) I don't think so. - Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) I think the other chickens did that to him because he gets bullied a lot. I can't put him anywhere else or he'll get killed by other animals. - What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) I think it's eating normally. - What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
8) I haven't seen it pooped. - How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) I do not know what to give it. That's why I'm asking - What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
10 ) I want to treat it myself. - What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
11) No picture. Sorry. - If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Outdoor pen with two houses. - Describe the housing/bedding in use

What can I give him so he'll get better?

Last edited:
I'm wondering if his eye was pecked at. It does sound more injury/infection than disease. Get some antibiotics on it. Dab some neosporine (without the pain releiver) on it with a q-tip. You're probably going to have to protect him from this other roo. If the alpha really goes after him, he'll peck the eyes out and scalp him. It really can get mean and ugly between roos FAST.

pain reliever? Dont use anything with ...caine tacked on to the end of the word, you could kill your chicken. I dont know what you have but that stuff is dangerous.

You could try washing his eye with a saline solution. There is some stuff for cats and dogs that youcan get at some stores that is an antibiotic ointment for their eyes, but I dont know where to get it or what thename is. Maybe you can call your vet.

Back
Top Bottom