Silkie Rooster falling over

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Caicos, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Caicos

Caicos Hatching

Aug 11, 2010
    I noticed yesterday that my silkie rooster was wobbly. His legs were red on the outside edges and he was very unsteady on his feet. When he did walk he was right up on his toes. I thought it might been scaly leg mites. So treated him today for them - but once I had him in my hands and had a closer look I'm not sure.
    He lives outside in a large coop with about 20 hens. I live on a small island in the Caribbean so he is used to being on the limestone/dirt ground in the coop.
    Any idea what may have caused the redness on his legs and his unsteady gait?
    Caz in the Turks & Caicos Islands

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG]

Redness on his legs most likely is normal - my roos get this red "stripe" which is hormonal.

Have you looked him over for lice/mites? If you have not, and have not treated recently, you might want to dust with Sevin 5% dust.

Also check the bottoms of his feet - any swelling? dark spots - bumblefoot?

How is his weight? Is he eating, pooping normal?

Hoping he is much better soon.

3. Caicos

Caicos Hatching

Aug 11, 2010
    I had a closer look today and cannot see any signs of scaly legs mites, but I did dip his legs in mineral oil again, just in case. Thanks for the information about the red stripe - my other roos are all 'bush hens' as they call them on the island and don't get that.
    When I picked him up yesterday his breast bone felt kind of sharp too me, but he is eating well - I watched him dig right in when I fed the gang. Haven't seen him poop yet. Checked his feet, no sign of bumble foot.
    He seems to be falling back on his hocks, when he does walk he rears up on to his tippy toes and is very unsteady. He takes 4 or 5 steps and then wobbles backwards.
    I'm going to do a major clean of the run this weekend and use Sevin (I use it in the nesting boxes of my Gouldian Finches, so if it is safe for those little guys it will be fine for chickens!). Hopefully he will start improving soon - I just wish I knew what was wrong....
    Caz in the Turks & Caicos Islands.

4. HorseFeatherz NV

When you give him a look over, check his vent area - often times the best way to first spot lice is this area cause they lay their eggs on the feather shaft, close to the body, and it often looks like dry whiteish poo stuck to their feathers. Lice, if he has them, can make him weak and he would walk funny.

I dust my chickens every couple months - cause of wild birds - get the vent area, between the legs and between the wings good - sometimes i also dap some with my finger along the back of their head.

He does sound a bit thin, have you wormed your chickens?

For some quick energy and protein - scramble or boil up an egg for him.

Good luck with him.

5. Caicos

Caicos Hatching

Aug 11, 2010
    I will check for lice this evening. Have never wormed my chickens - I'm not even sure if I can get de-wormer on the island.......will have to check that out. I'l give him an egg this evening. Thanks for the help!

6. HorseFeatherz NV

I have just finished using Eprinex (ivomec) - for chickens it is off label use, as it is used for cattle, but there is no milk or meat with-holding time in cattle. Half a cc (0.5) for large fowl and a quarter cc (0.25) for bantam fowl - lift up feathers at back of neck, and apply eprinex to skin.

You are very welcome for the help, I am not sure I am correct, but worming should not hurt him (unless he has a very, very heavy worm load - you would see worms in his poo).

This article might be helpful - has some pictures - might not be the exact species you have but should be similar: http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8162.pdf

7. Caicos

Caicos Hatching

Aug 11, 2010
    No sign of lice. He is pretty lethargic now. I'm going to take him out of the run and put him on his own. I'm thinking I may just try some broad spectrum antibiotics I have for my finches. At this point I can't see that it will hurt him.
    Carole in the Turks and Caicos Islands

8. HorseFeatherz NV

Oh, I am so sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by