Silkie Rooster Fertility?

koakritters

Songster
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
Petaluma
I was wondering if silkie roos seem to have less fertility, or does it get better with age? I've got a 9 month old one, and this is the first batch of eggs from "him" that i've actually kept track of, the rest have been an egg or two here and there to see if he was fertile yet, form those i have one chick so far, and 3 more scheduled to hatch in 2 days- but those came out of a bunch of eggs, idk how many i started with, i tossed most of them. So this batch, out of 10 eggs, i've only got 3 forming chicks, the rest are clear. My other rooster i've got has a way higher % fertility, lucky me
he.gif
of course he's the mean one...

Many Silkies have trouble if they are the "bowling ball" variety. They are just too roly poly to get the job done. And many have told me that the more gentle the roo the less likely he is to want to "do the deed". Sometimes you are better off to Artificially Inseminate (AI). There are U Tube demonstrations on it and it's really not difficult. If you want 1 roo to breed 1 specific hen I would separate them from everyone else because he might prefer another hen to her. You may want to add Vitamins and especially E to his diet because he could be lacking something. My 1 rooster wasn't ready to breed until he was over a year old.

well he definitely likes this hen, he's constantly "doing his job" with her, it's rather annoying actually since they are in a petting farm, lol!!! he's in with 3 other hens, and only one of them is still young enough that it's laying eggs.

Well then, the only solution that I can come up with is that he can't reach the "intended goal". She may need to have her cushion trimmed (not very appealing to the eye sometimes). Trim his vent and her cushion and vent.

Back
Top Bottom