Silkie Rooster Fighting Aggresively

MariyaJee

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
Hello Everybody,
My entire flock used to get along there would be the occasional fights but nothing serious (they are 10 weeks old). Then one of my silkies (I think a hen?) got a very serious leg injury (cause unknown) and couldn't stand for 3 weeks now she is starting to recover and can walk with a limp. However, when I put her back into the coop along with the rest of the chickens there is one silkie (I think a roo?) who will peck her maliciously and jump on top of her and pull out feathers. She does not fight back and instead keeps bowing her head while he pecks it but he will not stop. Even when they are playing outside in the yard he tries to fight her. I tried taking him out of the coop and putting the injured girl in for a bit to see what would happen and another silkie (I think a hen but might be a roo?) started attacking her and jumping on her and pulling out feathers and even when she kept bowing her head or trying to run away he/she pursued her and kept pulling her head feathers out and fighting her. Have they forgotten the injured because she has been away for so long (nearly a month)? What can I do to stop them from hurting her? I feel extremely bad and want them all to get along. :( Any help would be appreciated :)

When you remove a bird from the flock, then return it, they tend to re-establish pecking order. You might want to put a cage in your coop, then put the bully in it for a few days, so the bully can see the newcomer, but not attack. IF, when you return the bully back to the flock, it again tries to bully the newcomer, return it to the cage for a few more days.

Okay thank you! Do you recommend I put both the bullies in a cage or just the original bully? Also what type of cage do you recommend?

Start with the main bully. Sometimes, the second one will settle down, because the main bully is removed. If not, remove the second one too. Either wire a section off in the coop that the bully can't escape from, but can see everyone, OR I suggest a large dog crate.

Back
Top Bottom