Silkie rooster has a dark red comb and is not breathing well

Nicoledc

Hatching
Jun 6, 2017
Hi there,
I have an 8 month old silkie rooster and about 2 weeks ago, he began hiccuping instead of his usual crowing. His energy level began declining and then his bright red comb has become stiff and a darker red. He is eating and drinking very little now. He finds a corner to hide in until I go find him and hold him in my lap. I've given him Vet Rx diluted in water and .5 cc of Tylan 50. Before I do anything more I wanted to ask for better advice. Please help if you can.
Thank you so much. I can post a picture of him this evening.

Hi @Nicoledc :frow Welcome To BYC

Would love to see your photos. A video of his hiccuping would be great too so we can hear him:)

A few things - how does his crop feel - is it emptying overnight?
Any other symptoms like mucous from the nostrils, watery eyes, sneezing, etc.?
Have you looked inside his beak to see if there is anything in his throat/airway (food, plaques/lesions, etc.)?
Do you have a vet that will see him?

Try to encourage him to drink. If you have poultry vitamins you can add those to his water. Eating isn't as important, but after you get fluids into him offer wet feed or some chopped egg or tuna to see if he will take it.

Keep us posted.

Hi @Nicoledc :frow Welcome To BYC
Hi there, thank you so much for responding. I will take a photo and a video of him this evening and post it asap!!
Would love to see your photos. A video of his hiccuping would be great too so we can hear him:)

A few things - how does his crop feel - is it emptying overnight?
Any other symptoms like mucous from the nostrils, watery eyes, sneezing, etc.?
Have you looked inside his beak to see if there is anything in his throat/airway (food, plaques/lesions, etc.)?
Do you have a vet that will see him?

Try to encourage him to drink. If you have poultry vitamins you can add those to his water. Eating isn't as important, but after you get fluids into him offer wet feed or some chopped egg or tuna to see if he will take it.

Keep us posted.

I will take a photo/video this evening and post it. Thank you so much for yor help and suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom