1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

silkie rooster having problems dominating his hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by youngchooklover, Aug 6, 2013.

1. youngchooklover

youngchooklover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    Yesterday we got a little silkie cross rooster. He is not a cockerel or full grown rooster. We have given him three hens: an Australian Langshan bantam, a silkie and a leghorn.

He has dominated our Langshan, he fought with our silkie for domination and won but when he came into combat with our leghorn he badly failed. Now she rules his life. He cant even come for feed without being chased away.

We took the leghorn out of the coop immediately and kept her in a little coop until nightfall. Then I put her in. When I went out in the morning they were still on the perch and she pulled the silkie roo almost off the perch by his crest. I quickly put her out again.

Can you please give me some advice on how to help me make the silkie rooster more dominant.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  2. youngchooklover

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    guys

3. youngchooklover

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    [​IMG]

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How old is he?

I think you just need time. You can't do this for him. Geesh, you just got him yesterday? Give him a few weeks at least, depending on age. Make sure there is more than one feeder, everyone has space and maybe a hiding place. Let them work it out.

That leghorn hen may just not want to squat for the first guy! If she's a mature bird, or just has a high opinion of herself, she'll make him earn his mating privileges, not just give it up for him. It's her way of making sure he's worthy of breeding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by