Silkie rooster in trouble....

Fox

Songster
11 Years
Nov 4, 2008
South Carolina
Hi all,

My best Silkie rooster is having troubles. I saw him walking kind of funny and found he had Bumblefoot. I didn't understand how he was the only one with it (checked the others) but treated him as I read on here with foot soaks, removing the Staph plug from the foot (as not very big) and penicillin injections for 4 days, 6 days if you could the pad of the foot injections, but I didn't get much in there, which is why I switched to the breast. During one of the foot soaks I started picking at some of his outer casings of the bigger pin feathers since his feet have been bandaged and discovered mites! I treated him with some Adam's Flea and Tick Spray. I also put Neosporin on his thigh area that had tiny scabs. (It made me feel sick that I didn't catch this!!) I followed that with treating all chickens with Ivomec pour on and dusted with Sevin dust even though there were just a few mites on a very small amount of the rest of the chickens. I cleaned out the whole coop, burned bedding, etc. I barely dusted Jack (the roo) because he'd already been sprayed and I really didn't see more mites, other than dead ones. The next day I took off his foot bandages and gave him a bath to get the dead mites off and remove any dander. He had been panting a lot out there. I also dried him well. I decided to leave his feet unbandaged and put him in a clean crate instead so his feet could get air. He tends to sit and lean to one side, off the mite bitten side, but if I set him outside of the cage he can walk around. But he is panting so much. It seems he pants all the time and hardly ever stops. I am feeding him a crumbled boiled egg a day, along with an organic, probiotic feed from a local mill, and he is eating well now. I am giving him Pedialyte and he has drank some, but he keeps his wings propped out to the side like it's hot and it's not hot. It's around 68-74 degrees today due to the stormy weather. It seems he's panting too much and I'm not sure why or what else to do. Could the mite bites caused more infection in his body? If so, what antibiotic should I put him on? He is my best and well loved rooster and I do not want to lose him! Do you think I should bandage his feet back up or put a dab of Neosporin on the pads without a bandage. I am keeping him on paper towels, and at night a thicker regular towel instead of hay because I am worried about more mites and not wanting to keep having to dust or anything. He has also had some yogurt. His droppings look normal to me... a greenish color with some white on top... nothing really strange or runny. But the panting is so concerning and his skin looks odd where he has been bitten.

Thanks for any help you can give!

5-18-12 Adding: I wanted to add that I think he may have a secondary infection from perhaps the mites. His leg/thigh seems a little swollen. He has already taken Penicillin G. What else should I use for something like that?

5-21-12 Adding that I have decided to give him LA-200, 1cc every other day. He has had one shot. He still does not look very good. His next shot will be technically today, around noon. His skin on the leg doesn't look very good and I am very concerned for him. I keep posting the updates in the hopes that someone might know what is wrong and have any thoughts on it.

Last edited:
Sorry... posted here, when I meant to edit previous post.... so I've removed the double content.

Last edited:
Has anyone had a Staph infection get in mite bites? I am wondering if this is what he has. I just wish there was a place to find more specific info on what is going on with him, but I can't seem to find it.

Penicillin shots do not go into the wound, ever. I think that's the problem.
Well, I never have had Bumblefoot before, so I was going by what the Vet Supply place said to do. I only did it twice and thought it was not working and switched to the breast. So I did the full treatment in the breast areas. It's actually not the feet I'm worried about so much as his leg. His opposite leg is discolored. He's a Silkie so he should have black skin, instead it looks like a regular chickens skin... at least when I discovered it. Then since I started treatment it turned pink. I don't know if that means something good or bad. Today is the second treatment of LA-200 antibiotic. I think there may be some improvement, but it may also be wishful thinking. I am doing the best I can without really knowing for sure what is wrong.

I lost Jack this afternoon. He stayed perky and eating well even until the end. I don't know why he suddenly died this afternoon, although I am sure it had to do with whatever was wrong with his leg. While many of you know this, I'm sure, I made a mistake that maybe will help others not to make by sharing. When Jack looked like he was now walking normally, I found the Bumblefoot on his feet. Instead of continuing to exam him all over, I stopped, thinking the Bumblefoot was the issue. Perhaps if I had gone over his whole body, I would have seen the leg infection and perhaps opted for different treatment. I would have at least been aware if nothing else. So if you have a chicken with problem and think you have found the obvious cause, do not stop there, but continue to exam your whole chicken head to foot to make sure there are not additional issue that need to be corrected.

Jack and family... this time last year. Good-bye beloved Jack! I miss you already.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Thank you... he was my best. It's hard to lose any, but particular hard when they are your best and most loved. I did try my best to save him, I just couldn't.

I am so sorry. We lost a Silkie today and are not sure why. These little creatures are so sweet, it's hard not to feel responsible, but I am sure you did all you could.

Back
Top Bottom