1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie Rooster Limping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Miyashi, May 18, 2011.

1. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    My 11 month old Roo is limping.
    There's no blood or sign of trauma.
    I'm guessing he tried to mount the large Brahma hen or he fell of the perch?
    I don't know.
    I was thinking I should soak him in warm water (With Epsom Salt) and give him a massage?
    Any other ideas?
    I'm just worried, I love him.

2. Miyashi

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    I soaked him and massaged him...during and after. Let him relax and dry off...put him back out with the girls. Still limping.
    Nothing feels swollen. Both legs felt the same. Nothing in his feet to bother him.
    Maybe it's just sore? I know those things happen to us and we just brush it off...so maybe it's nothing to worry about and he'll be fine in a couple days?

3. TiffyG

TiffyG Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Concord, GA
    Did you check his toenails? He could have broken one or torn it off. Hope he feels better!

4. Miyashi

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    Nope, nothing out of the ordinary. I lifted his wings, I looked everywhere. While he was soaking wet after his bath I was able to see most everything due to his fuzziness.
    No swelling, no sign of injury, nothing bumblefoot looking, nothing wrong with his toes...just NOTHING!
    He was like that last night, but I couldn't do anything for him until this morning. He got up to the perch with the girls and everything just fine, so I'm hoping he's alright.
    He still does everything. He just limps a bit. He holds his foot up occasionally while he's standing. But I mean really, I couldn't find anything wrong with Gamma....so I'm hoping it's just like when we take a step just a little silly and our leg hurts for a few days and we favor it. I'll be keeping an eye on him for sure...and everyone else. Can't seem to stay away from my chickens. I got home from work at 10:30 pm, went outside and gave everyone hugs...it's a normal thing. Have to say G'night to everyone by name. >_< I'm nuts!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by