1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie rooster or hen? Can anyone tell me?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Casey207908, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Casey207908

Casey207908 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can anyone tell me if this is a rooster or a hen? Approx 11-12 weeks old. I haven't heard anything out of it that would lead me to believe that it is a rooster.

2. Roo, mine is a few months old, and hardly has a comb at all least of all waddles... could be wrong though...

3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    x2 I'd guess roo

4. upmycreek

upmycreek Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    It's really hard to tell sometimes with silkies and all that fuzz. It looks like one of my hens that I had so... Maybe re-post under chicken breeds---> what breed what gender is this? area. Or wait for an egg or a crow... Either way she-he is very pretty/handsome :)

5. duckie mama

duckie mama Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2009
    kilgore
    beardless roo, sorry, but he is gorgeous

6. Casey207908

Jun 20, 2012
    He/she snuggles with a baby silkie at night. Also oldest in the flock by about 6 weeks. Had no problems mixing, even when the others were chicks i put this silkie right in with them and he/she never went after them. Most are saying rooster, if its a roo then its not very aggressive. Is that normal for a rooster to not be aggressive? Maybe he just isn't old enough?

7. Casey207908

Jun 20, 2012
    Crowed at me several times this morning as i was feeding the chickens. You guys were right....its a rooo!!! Thanks for the help.

8. luvtohatch

luvtohatch Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2012
    silkie roos tend to mature late. The last silkie roo I had was quite handy as I housed him with my chicks and he'd keep them warm at night. very gentle bird with the hens as well. generally speaking you can tell the gender of silkies by their comb. the roos' tend to get quite 'bumpy' while the hens' stay flatter.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by