Silkie Rooster or hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Dirtt, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Dirtt

Dirtt In the Brooder

Sep 14, 2017
    Hello, I have two silkies that I need a second opinion on if they are female or male? They are only a few months old. I'm really hoping they are hen's but I'm leaning more towards male. If you could also please tell me what you look for in younger Silkies? Or even silkie chicks? To tell you their gender. I'd be very grateful. Thank you so much!
    rooster 4.PNG rooster 3.PNG rooster 2.PNG rooster1.PNG

2. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! And Nuts For Horses!

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    Sadly,those are looking like cockerels. Their combs also look funny. Are they from a hatchery? Silkies are supposed to have walnut combs.

3. JedJackson

JedJackson Crossing the Road

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    Both look like hens. Silkies are difficult to sex as chicks because of the strange feathering. Normally I look at combs but these two have single combs which aren't normal for Silkies.

drumstick diva likes this.
  4. JedJackson

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    I would help if you were more specific about age.

5. Dirtt

Dirtt In the Brooder

Sep 14, 2017
    They are not from a hatchery. I got them when I purchased a group of chickens from someone who claimed they were all purebred but a few of them had this kind of comb. I'm not sure if it's bad genetics or some other breed mixed in further back. Because I have both parents. They all have five toes, black skin (except one), and blue ear lobes and the hens look pretty well so It not too bad.

6. Dirtt

Dirtt In the Brooder

Sep 14, 2017
    I'm Sorry, I recently purchased them and didn't personally breed them so I'm not positive on the age.

7. JedJackson

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    No worries. I'm leaning pullets for these two but they could easily turn out to be cockerels. I think you'll have to wait a bit longer to be sure.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Silkies are very difficult to sex before 4-5 mos. of age and sometimes not till they crow or lay. Hatchery birds often have combs like this. I know you said they aren't from a hatchery. You said you have both parents.

I think it would help a lot if you posted photos of the parents.

9. sue25

sue25 Songster

Apr 25, 2017
    Hephzibah GA
    The single comb in a silky is a recessive Gene and breeders are trying to breed it out. Meaning that two purebred silkies can give off a purebred silkie with the single comb. Most breeders try not to put the two parents.together of they produce this type of comb. The SOP is the walnut comb if you are not going to show your silkies you don't need to worry about it.

If the partarage doesn't get any more orange in it's neck feathers it should be a pullet the black looks like pullet too.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: