1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

silkie rooster personality

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by daphneysmamma, Feb 19, 2014.

1. daphneysmamma

daphneysmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    erwin , NC
    question u guys.. can anyone tell me if the silkie roos are generally aggressive or not .. i know each bird will have its own personality ( which is y i enjoy each individual chicken so much ) but i just didnt know since silkies tend to be docile if the roos are as well.. they are beautiful and i'd really like one , but i would not like to be attacked daily..lol. we are trying to branch into a show silkie for the boys to show in the JR shows possibly a pair and my oldest son (13) really prefers a rooster anyway , but i dont want to get him a dangerous pet.. i know they are small so even with any aggression are they actually dangerous? or are they friendly usually

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

In my experience there was one silkie rooster who chased one of my children and tried to flog him. However, a lot of them have been nice, as well.

I have not kept silkie roosters long term (until they were totally mature- as in greater than a year- in other words). Some roosters will turn on you after they get about 2 years old, and I don't know if a lot of silkie roosters do that.

However, I would say that ALL roosters should never be trusted around children- especially their eyes. So (I have a 13 year old child too) I would say that proceeding with caution is always a good idea- teach them to not allow the bird to be close to their eyes. Don't allow them to sit on the shoulder of a child, for example and be near the eyes.

I would definitely choose a silkie rooster for my children to work with without qualms. But at the first sign of aggression by the rooster they would be gone. My youngest child had blood drawn by a rooster (Wyandotte) years ago. The hens are pets but never the roosters. They are filled with hormones.

I do think you would be pleased with a silkie rooster if he remained sweet.

3. Sheepchickens

Sheepchickens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2013
    My comment wasn't very helpful and I don't know how to delete it so I edited it... sorry!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes all you can do is edit it once there is a post there.

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Likely varies, i mean an advantage is they are not that big because a larger aggressive rooster is a huge piece of trouble. All that said they still have the typical rooster capabilities. You have to keep firm with them, a line must be drawn.. in other words YOUR top roo and that isn't about to change.

We have a few cough, okay 8 lol some definitely are more cocky than others... i have no issues with them, because if put into place it did not cease they would be gone, i have zero tolerance. I keep drakes(all Muscovy, with 1 being a call) i apply the same principle.. i am never unkind but they know i am top here, i handle then all quite differently than i do the hens and ducks.

6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I've never had a people aggressive silkie rooster, had a few in other breeds but not a silkie. My oldest silkie rooster died when he was around 7 to 6 years old.

7. Coralietg

Coralietg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Opelousas, LA
    We have one Silkie rooster, he's the only one we've had and he has tried to flog me and the kids a bunch of times. It probably didn't help that we didn't realise he was a he until he was 5+ months old, and my girls loved on him so much.

8. schnebbles

schnebbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    hmm, I'm posting just to follow this. I hope my silkie boy doesn't turn mean. He's probably 9 or so months old. No problem with him yet. The other day I had to bring him in to clean his messy butt and he was fine with me.

9. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Silkies are a breed known for being friendly and docile. So, they should be friendly, even the rooster.
    My roo is a love. I pick him up and "do his hair" everyday (I just move the feathers away from his eyes) and my daughter carries him around like a baby.

That being said, any rooster is capable of being nasty. None of my Silkies have been, but others have had meanies.

10. Quinsmomma

Quinsmomma Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2012
    Vineland, NJ
    A neighbor of mine had a silkie rooster that attacked her daily. She was heartbroken. She found someone on Craigslist who wanted to breed silkies and didn't mind he was aggressive (or thought he could handle the problem?).

For those of you with rooster experience - are there nice roosters out there? Or do you just have to know how to handle roosters?

I've had experience with exactly two roosters - my parents had one that attacked me as a child and I currently have a bantam welsummer that has just turned nasty. He attempts to flog me daily when I feed the flock but recently scratched my three year old who was playing in the backyard. Needless to say he will either be re-homed or culled soon. I was hoping to be able to keep a rooster to order to breed my own chickens but that isn't looking too likely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by