Silkie rooster questions

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bmt123, Oct 25, 2013.

1. bmt123

bmt123 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2013
    So I just recently went to the fair and looked at all of the different kinds of chickens there. This was the first time I had ever heard a rooster crow and was surprised about how quiet it was. Then I heard a silkie rooster crow and it wasn't loud at all. So my question is are silkies generally quiter when crowing than other roosters or was this just a strange bird. I was also wondering if a silkie roo would help with free rangeing my flock.

2. veramoomoo

veramoomoo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2013
    i would say you can try it because my best freind has one and it is very pertective of the other girls... if the big girls pick on him you should seperate but they should still see each other then let them roam in the same coop after a little while .... then they should be fine!

3. bmt123

bmt123 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2013
    Oh ok thanks for the advice. Do you how loud your friends rooster is.

4. Michaels1715

Michaels1715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Chester County, PA
    I have 3 Silkie roos, and they are not any quieter than any other rooster I've heard. Perhaps it was just the rooster, or maybe the environment you were in.
    Mine drive me nuts because they all want to "have the last word", so if one starts crowing, they ALL start, and keep going and going....

I actually like my Silkie/ameraucana roo the best. He is absolutely gorgeous, he is gentler with the hens, is more protective of the hens (although the Silkie Roos will give the alarm when a predator is near), and he doesn't attack people like my Silkie Roos do. At just under 6 months old, took over control of the flock from his "daddies". I have 3 Silkie roos, 4 Silkie hens (CONSTANT battle with broodiness), a two month old Silkie chick (feral cat killed the other two of his Silkie hatch mates), who I am 95% sure will be a roo :( :(
    Then I have 2 Ameraucanas, 2 RIR, 2 red sex links (BOTH of whom went broody and hatched chicks - better moms than the silkies IMO), 3 black sex links, and 1 black australorp.

5. veramoomoo

veramoomoo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2013
    no i have not seen it for a while..... i don't know if it has even started crowing!!!!!!!!!!!! thats all i have!!!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by