Silkie rooster recently becoming aggressive

photo chick

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Essex, VT
Our sweet little puffball silkie rooster "Fern" (we thought she was a hen) has recently become aggressive. Admittedly he's a silkie and not very intimidating but still…it's not fun for the kids (or adults) to go tend to our animals and be pummeled by a rooster each time we walk into the barn. He flaps his wings, lifts himself off the ground and launches at your legs. If you give him the boot he just comes at you again and again. He is a year old. It's our first spring with him. Is this a spring thing and will it stop or is this something we'll have to deal with on an ongoing basis? We've tried calming him down with treats but he's more interested in "protecting" his flock.

Last edited:
It could be just a rooster, being a rooster. Some are more aggressive then others. He's doing what he thinks he needs to protect his girls. Most people will not tolerate mean roosters, I for one just see it as a rooster being a rooster. I like to grab them and hold them down for a few minutes and every time you go out their do that. He needs to know humans are the boss, not him. if that doesn't work, then lock him in a pen by himself for a few days.

Last edited:
Thanks. He IS a rooster being a rooster! A cute one at that. Is this a spring rooster thing or a forever thing? I've never had a rooster before so not sure if they get the spring crazies like horses do. I'll try the holding him down technique.

He will only get worse; if you convince him to avoid you, he will still go after anyone else. This is not behavior you should breed on either. Small children and your friends shouldn't have to worry about him, and he could do real damage to someone wearing shorts, or to a child. Think about faces and eyeballs! He would be gone at my house. Been there, done that with bad cockrels. Life is way too short. Mary

Just establish you are higher on the pecking order than he is. I just got an ameraucana roo that thought he was bad stuff from a elderly man, I got home with him put him down inside the coop he held wings real low and try to flog me so I held my hand out and he pecked it and I gave him a peck back with the back of my hand and then picked him up and held him for a bit and then sat him down and held my hand out and guess what......nothin so I picked him up again and petted him now he is the nicest chicken I have

Back
Top Bottom